Re: [deedsnotwordsd20] 1.1 Preview: Finalized Powers List

  • Donald Kiesling
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5 7:29 AM

      How about making elemental combos?  Earth and Fire create a few Magma combos, Air and Water have some electricity and ice combos, light and dark create a shadow combo, etc?

       Palmer of the Turks <palmeroftheturks@...> wrote:

      On 5 Apr 2003, at 3:37, cryptosnark wrote:

      > Air Mastery
      > Plant Affinity
      > Matter Mastery
      > Fire Mastery

      You should have a whole spectrum of elemental and "elemental" Mastery powers...
      *comes up with list*

      Earth
      Air
      Water
      Fire
      Wood/Plant
      Metal
      Void
      Electricity
      Ice/Cold
      Sound
      Darkness/Shadow
      Light
      Gravity
      "Good/Holy"
      "Evil/Infernal"
      Time (or Space-Time)

      Have a wonderful day!

      Sincerely,

      Don "Falanor" Kiesling II

      "Quando Omni Flunkus Moriatati" -- Opossum Lodge Motto

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • The Shadow
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5 12:08 PM
        I'm not at all sure, personally, that you need a huge suite of
        elemental (much less "para-elemental") powers. A few examples should
        be enough for anybody to adapt whatever unusual power they want.

        I DO think, though, that you could stand to have a few more kinds
        of "energy" for Energized Form, Energy Attack, and so on. (Maybe you
        already do, I suppose.) Some suggestions:

        Gravity: Much like Concussive, except you can knock people "back"
        TOWARD you if you want. Also, it can be "tuned" to do half-damage
        while ignoring armor. (Perhaps just subdual damage.) That trick
        might well be a special enhancement. On the other hand, gravity
        damage (thought not knockback) is utterly blocked by most force
        fields.

        Magic: A bolt of raw magical power, not unlike Magic Missile. You
        need merely make a touch attack to hit - armor is irrelevant.
        However, Spell Resistance counts as DR. Also, "magic" does one-
        quarter the normal damage - it's a highly inefficient use of magical
        power. (That's why people cast spells.)

        Psionics: A mind-bolt of stunning power, not unlike the "psionic
        blast" of illithids. (Illithids use "Energy Cone", of course.)
        Armor is irrelevant, but this energy only does subdual damage without
        SERIOUS enhancement. Victims can make a Will save for half damage.
        Unlike the others, I'm finding it hard to visualize a
        psionic "Energized Form". I suppose it could be interpreted as a
        psionic using instinctive TK to shield himself... (By the way, this
        is a bigger stick than pure Psions usually carry, so I think it's
        appropriate as a regular power rather than a Psion talent.)

        Radiation: Treat this just like "pure energy", except there's a Fort
        save against contracting radiation sickness. (Doubtless the DC
        depends on how much damage has been taken. There's rules for
        radiation sickness in the web enhancement of D20 Modern, by the by.
        Oh, and in a typical four-color campaign, radiation sickness should
        give some small chance of gaining (or changing!) powers. :) Perhaps
        this would be better handled by "linking" a disease-giving power with
        a "pure energy" power, but I don't know if you have any means to link
        powers or not.

        One unrelated thing about the power list... it disappointed me in 1.0
        that there was no "Darkness" power. Sure, "Shadow Mastery" can let
        you lower the light level, but I want something that'll produce utter
        darkness in noonday sunlight. Is this now possible with the
        updated "Shadow Mastery"? (Also, what if one wants darkness, but
        doesn't care about summoning shadow-critters?)

        The Shadow

        P.S. For the life of me I don't understand why Mental Invisibility
        isn't a Psion talent. The original Shadow (from whom I take my name
        and based on whom I created my Very First Champions character)
        learned it in a Tibetan monastery, for crying out loud. :) He
        certainly wasn't a mutant or anything.
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5 4:46 PM
          --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Sketch"
          <Sketchpad@w...> wrote:
          > Looks great Scott ... a few Qs ...
          > 1) In 1.0 it was a bit hard to make the powerhouses (Supes,
          Thor, etc)
          > without looking at the Omega options ... will 1.1 be able to
          adapt these
          > concepts better?

          Well, that depends. The XP Tithe is designed to run up to 100
          uncompensated EPs, which is the equivalent of 25 1.0 powers. I
          could probably assign Superman 15-20 points of complications,
          plus he gets 4 comped EPs as part of his origin package
          (Humanoid Intrinsic), so he could probably have about 120-125
          EPs worth of super-powers (30+ 1.0 powers).

          So using the standard, totally-legal player-character rules, you
          could probably build a low-end version of the standard Supes
          (heck, you could probably build the one from *Smallville* or the
          original "leap a quarter mile" Siegel & Schuster Superman for
          about 50 EPs worth of powers). If you wanted to build him using
          unfair NPC rules, I'd say 150-200 uncompensated EPs should
          do the trick. That would give him a Threat Rating of about +20.

          So, you could build a major-league ass-kicker either way, just
          probably not the "move the planet five feet to the left" Superman
          using PC rules.

          > 2) "Pow! Super!" is this a setting book or something akin to the
          Ultimate
          > Powers Book?
          > Looking foward to 1.1 :)

          It's going to be a combination player sourcebook (new powers,
          prestige classes, and a long section on divine maginc in DNW)
          and GM manual for supers games (half DNW GM's guide and
          half supers "Monster Manual"). A little something for everyone,
          and like every damn thing I do, it's MUCH BIGGER than initially
          planned. ;)

        • sybr007
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5 8:14 PM
            Hey, that's a good thing!

            Sybr

            --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "cryptosnark"
            <cryptosnark@y...> wrote:

            > and like every damn thing I do, it's MUCH BIGGER than initially
            > planned. ;)
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > SL
          • Scott Crosson\