Re: [deedsnotwordsd20] Re: total noob questions on ep's ...

(2943)
  • Orion
    Jan 14, 2005 Expand Messages
      No problem. I had a few minutes free and I know these rules pretty well
      by now, though Palmer's nigh encyclopeadic knowledge of DNW still puts
      me to shame.

      I've thought about the kind of thing you're talking about, and I think
      the simpler solution, if you want a character whose powers get stronger,
      or who just gets better at using his powers, you can do a couple of
      different things.

      You can hand out EP at the end of every level. This can get Monty Hall
      very quickly, so watch out. If you do this, though, make sure you
      stipulate one or both of the following rules:

      1. Characters can pump more points into existing powers (including
      Enhancements), but not buy new ones. If you have a super-speedster, he
      can get faster (up his movement rate), or buy more Bonus Actions, for
      example, but he cannot suddenly develop the ability to blow fireballs
      out his ass.

      2. The GM has veto over every new superpower to make sure that it's
      appropriately 'themed' to the existing power set. For example, a PC
      called the White Tiger purchases a bunch of powers that simulate the
      physical prowess of a big cat, but then at 4th level wants to buy
      Flight. The GM then says, "But wait! Cats can't fly!" and the PC is not
      allowed to take the power.

      Finally, I wouldn't screw with the Experience Tithe amounts if I were
      you. They're pretty carefully tabulated to maintain a certain
      mathematical curve. Just doubling them, or something, would kinda screw
      with the math, as I understand it.

      What you can do, though, is raise the fraction of XP a player needs to
      devote to paying off the Tithe. Presently, a PC must give up half of her
      XP per game towards the Tithe. How about 75%? How about 100%?
      Alternatively, how about 25%? This is a number that's easy to adjust and
      factor into a game. A 50% Tithe means the character will gain half as
      many levels as her comrades until she pays it off, 75% means she'll be
      one quarter the level progression, etc.

      --
      -Orion

      "You're born naked and everything else is drag."
      -RuPaul
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic