Invitation to FIPA

  • Donald Steiner
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2000
      Dear Peer-to-Peer Colleagues,

      The Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents (FIPA) is a non-profit
      international standards organisation with some 60 members which has been
      addressing issues of coordination, management and interoperability of
      networked autonomous systems for the last five years. FIPA is based on an
      inherently peer-to-peer philosophy and FIPA believes that much of its work
      is valuable to the peer-to-peer community. In particular, FIPA's work on
      discovery and negotiation of resources and services in a network, as well as
      distributed knowledge sharing are relevant.

      FIPA would like to invite you to its next meeting being held from Jan.
      26-Feb. 30 in Phoenix, Arizona, hosted by Intel.

      FIPA is an open organization. Anybody, members and non-members alike may
      contribute to the FIPA process. Attendance to FIPA meetings for non-members
      is free for the first three meetings. After this point, we hope that
      attendees would find enough value to pay the nominal membership fee.

      The value of attending FIPA for those in the peer-to-peer community is to
      gain insight into the issues that FIPA is working on, how FIPA's
      specifications can be used in their current work and to help direct FIPA's
      future work. FIPA submitted a proposal to the recent RfP by the Peer-to-Peer
      Working Group; this proposal may be found at
      http://www.fipa.org/docs/output/f-out-00076/f-out-00076.pdf (Overview) and
      http://www.fipa.org/specs/fipa00001/ (FIPA Abstract Architecture).

      The agenda is not entirely fixed yet, but traditionally there is an open
      workshop on Wednesday afternoon providing a forum for presentations from and
      interacting with the community at large. The other days are more involved
      with meetings of individual Technical Committees and Working Groups. Plenary
      sessions are held Monday morning, Friday afternoon and at certain times
      during the week.

      Given sufficient interest, FIPA would offer a special session (either Monday
      afternoon or Wednesday morning) for new attendees outlining the FIPA goals,
      underlying premises, process, organization, current specifications and
      ongoing work.

      Please feel free to visit FIPA's website, www.fipa.org or contact the FIPA
      Secretariat, secretariat@... for more information.

      FIPA looks forward to seeing you in Phoenix.

      Kind Regards,

      - Donald Steiner
      FIPA President

      --------------
      Donald Steiner
      Chief Scientist Phone: +1(415)538-3468
      WebV2, Inc. Fax: +1(415)348-0836
      140 Second St., Suite 200 E-mail: Donald.Steiner@...
      San Francisco, CA 94105 WWW: www.webv2.com
    • donald.steiner@webv2.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2000
        --- In decentralization@egroups.com, I wrote:

        > Dear Peer-to-Peer Colleagues,
        >
        > The Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents (FIPA) is a non-
        profit
        > international standards organisation with some 60 members which has
        been
        > addressing issues of coordination, management and interoperability
        of
        > networked autonomous systems for the last five years. FIPA is based
        on an
        > inherently peer-to-peer philosophy and FIPA believes that much of
        its work
        > is valuable to the peer-to-peer community. In particular, FIPA's
        work on
        > discovery and negotiation of resources and services in a network,
        as well as
        > distributed knowledge sharing are relevant.
        >
        > FIPA would like to invite you to its next meeting being held from
        Jan.
        > 26-Feb. 30 in Phoenix, Arizona, hosted by Intel.

        Sorry, I screwed up the dates. This would indeed have been a long
        meeting, in which we could have gotten a lot done:-)

        Anyway, the real dates are Jan 29 - Feb 2.
        On the web site, you'll see that the official hotel registration
        deadline has passed, but I am working on getting that extended. Don't
        be shy...

        - Donald