Multimedia?

  • Oliver Willis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2000
      Curious as to what your thoughts are about
      decentralized multimedia content, current example
      would be Shoutcast (http://www.shoutcast.com)
      streaming MP3 where the user is the server. As opposed
      to the Real/Windows/Quicktime model...

      (I really wanna do that for video)

      =====
      Oliver Willis
      Information Architect
      Hitplay Media: Targeted Video Advertising
      http://www.hitplay.com
      owillis@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Wesley M. Felter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2000
        On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Oliver Willis wrote:

        > Curious as to what your thoughts are about
        > decentralized multimedia content, current example
        > would be Shoutcast (http://www.shoutcast.com)
        > streaming MP3 where the user is the server. As opposed
        > to the Real/Windows/Quicktime model...

        I'm not really sure in what sense Shoutcast is more decentralized than the
        others. OK, so it has a standard directory service.

        Hey, what is a decentralized system? Is the Web decentralized? (After all,
        there's Yahoo.)

        > (I really wanna do that for video)

        Static.com looks like they're trying to do that, although last I checked
        they were pretty cagey about where the bandwidth was going to come from.

        Wesley Felter - wesf@... - http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/wesf/
      • Oliver Willis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2000
          But the actual broadcasting on the Shoutcast system is (or can be) done by
          the end user to another end user using a rather simple plug in,
          shoutcast.com (and the Radiospy app) show available servers sortable by
          users/ping/etc. I meant that the shoutcast plugin decentralizes audio
          streaming. Static's system looks interesting, but I'm curious how much
          they're putting into it (doesn't seem to be their core business).