Sitelier

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2011
      http://www.sitelier.com/ is a strategy for web apps where the user hosts their own data on an ISP account and accesses web apps by installing them to their ISP account. Like Wordpress (the software), except that it shares your data with other apps on the same host.

      I think, anyway.

      Not sure how much this has in common with Unhosted.

      The rest of this email is copied in from the Sitelier about  page.

      The way the web works now, you go to a webmail site to check your email, a photo sharing site to upload your photos, a blogging site to edit your blog, etc. This is not how the real world works: if it was, you'd have to go to a toaster factory to use your toaster, a microwave factory to use your microwave, and a hotel to sleep every night. We avoid this in our lives by having a home where we keep the things we use frequently or don't want to share with strangers, but on the web there's no alternative – there's no real online equivalent of your home. This situation has given rise to a host of problems as we live an increasingly large part of our lives online, and this is the problem that Sitelier was created to solve.

      What exactly does Sitelier do?

      1. Manages a private website where you can securely store all your online information and access it from anywhere.
      2. Lets you install web apps on your site for doing anything you can do on the web. Installed apps can and should keep all your data on your site.
      3. Lets you connect with contacts, such as friends, family or colleagues, and use apps to communicate and share content directly and securely.
      4. Gives you full control over exactly what apps and contacts are allowed to see and do on your site.
      5. Frees you from corporate control of your data by being free software that anyone can download and use for any purpose.