Re: [decentralization] Laptop Versus Axe

    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2009
      Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
      The two kinds
      > of deployment so far are the allmydata.com use case in which a company
      > operates hundreds of servers and customers pay a monthly fee to get
      > access, and the friendnet (what Ian Clarke named "darknet") use case,
      > where a group of friends all let each other use their computers out of
      > love.

      This makes me think of a hybrid model where there's a coop of businesses
      or sophisticated friends. Maybe 5-100 companies.

      What's the latency like? How does it feel on an application level to
      use this instead of a typical SAN?
    • David Barrett
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2009
        That's interesting. Just curious, is it easy to deploy this in a
        web-facing manner? For example, at Expensify we store a bunch of
        receipt images. We currently do it with S3, and they're fine, but I'm
        always interested in alternatives. If I got a handful of dedicated
        servers scattered around the world, all with huge hard drives, could I
        easily configure Tahoe in conjunction with a webserver to:

        1) Upload a receipt to any server using HTTP PUT

        2) Fetch a receipt image from any server using HTTP GET

        3) Automatically balance redundant storage such that DNS load balancing
        "just works" for both uploads and downloads

        Does it do this out of the box by some miracle? If coding is involved,
        can you give me a quick overview of the steps I'd need to take?
        (standalone C++, lighttpd/PHP, anything is fine.)

        Thanks!

        -david

        Lucas Gonze wrote:
        > Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
        > The two kinds
        >> of deployment so far are the allmydata.com use case in which a company
        >> operates hundreds of servers and customers pay a monthly fee to get
        >> access, and the friendnet (what Ian Clarke named "darknet") use case,
        >> where a group of friends all let each other use their computers out of
        >> love.
        >
        > This makes me think of a hybrid model where there's a coop of businesses
        > or sophisticated friends. Maybe 5-100 companies.
        >
        > What's the latency like? How does it feel on an application level to
        > use this instead of a typical SAN?

      • Zooko O'Whielacronx
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2009
          On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Lucas Gonze <lucas@...> wrote:

          > This makes me think of a hybrid model where there's a coop of businesses
          > or sophisticated friends. Maybe 5-100 companies.

          Yeah! Because a company is more reliable and available and has a lot
          more capital than one of your friends, but you don't want to put all
          your eggs in one corporate basket.

          > What's the latency like? How does it feel on an application level to
          > use this instead of a typical SAN?

          Hm, well here are some measurements:

          http://allmydata.org/tahoe-figleaf-graph/hanford.allmydata.com-tahoe_speedstats_delay.html

          But probably you'll get a better idea by experimenting with it:

          http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567/uri/URI%3ADIR2%3Adjrdkfawoqihigoett4g6auz6a%3Ajx5mplfpwexnoqff7y5e4zjus4lidm76dcuarpct7cckorh2dpgq/

          (Warning: that grid is populated by "whoever reads
          http://allmydata.org and connects", so I can't vouch for its
          performance.)

          Regards,

          Zooko
        • Zooko O'Whielacronx
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2009
            On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:24 PM, David Barrett <dbarrett@...> wrote:

            > 1) Upload a receipt to any server using HTTP PUT
            > 2) Fetch a receipt image from any server using HTTP GET
            > 3) Automatically balance redundant storage such that DNS load balancing
            > "just works" for both uploads and downloads
            >
            > Does it do this out of the box by some miracle?

            Well, yeah it is pretty close to this already. The Tahoe web API
            listens for PUT and GET, as documented here:

            http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/docs/frontends/webapi.txt

            (This is similar but not identical to the S3 API. I keep thinking we
            should try to make them more similar, or put an S3 layer on the Tahoe
            web api... If you experiment with converting from S3 to Tahoe please
            let us know what you learn.)

            Give it a try!

            Regards,

            Zooko