Two NN Events Tomorrow

  • Seth Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
      Two events tomorrow, same time:

      Susan Crawford will speak to the House Judiciary Committee, along with
      Damian Kulash of OK Go, Michele Combs of Christian Coalition of
      America, Rick Carnes of Songwriters Guild of America, Caroline
      Fredrickson of ACLU, and Christopher Yoo of University of
      Pennsylvania:

      Tuesday 03/11/2008 - 2:00 PM
      2141 Rayburn House Office Building
      Judiciary Committee Antitrust Task Force
      Hearing on Net Neutrality and Free Speech on the Internet
      > http://judiciary.house.gov/oversight.aspx?ID=426

      ---

      Harold Feld of Media Access Project and Marvin Ammori of Free Press
      will debate Ken Ferree of the Progress and Freedom Foundation and
      Lawrence Spiwak of the Phoenix Center:

      Broadband Industry Practices Webcast
      Debate on Net Neutrality
      March 11, 2008 - 2 PM ET
      > http://www.vontv.net/events/080311/

      Susan has the bigger task, I think, as she will deal with Christopher
      Yoo's odd indirection, and apparently copyright stakeholders are being
      thrown into the mix (which really is off the point, but it suggests
      the level the proceeding will be starting from).

      However, if she is true to form, she can be expected to make the
      single most important point that needs to be stressed as the
      discussion moves toward "network management" and "quality of service"
      -- that the Internet platform is general purpose. This is the most
      important technical point that must always be incorporated in the
      discussion of NN, which will allow us to distinguish what really is
      problematic and what is not. That point leads to practical and
      constructive insight, providing the opportunity for all participants
      to come to understanding of where numerous, diverse concerns are
      appropriately positioned, while we discuss the free speech, privacy,
      common carriage, antitrust, nondiscrimination and other key issues
      that are implied in the "net neutrality" issue.

      Seth
    • Seth Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2008
        Video of the Judiciary Committee Hearing at:
        > http://boss.streamos.com/real-live/judiciary/17223/56_judiciary-coj_2141_070212.ram

        Seth

        Seth Johnson wrote:

        > Two events tomorrow, same time:
        >
        > Susan Crawford will speak to the House Judiciary Committee, along with
        > Damian Kulash of OK Go, Michele Combs of Christian Coalition of
        > America, Rick Carnes of Songwriters Guild of America, Caroline
        > Fredrickson of ACLU, and Christopher Yoo of University of
        > Pennsylvania:
        >
        > Tuesday 03/11/2008 - 2:00 PM
        > 2141 Rayburn House Office Building
        > Judiciary Committee Antitrust Task Force
        > Hearing on Net Neutrality and Free Speech on the Internet
        > > http://judiciary.house.gov/oversight.aspx?ID=426
        >
        > ---
        >
        > Harold Feld of Media Access Project and Marvin Ammori of Free Press
        > will debate Ken Ferree of the Progress and Freedom Foundation and
        > Lawrence Spiwak of the Phoenix Center:
        >
        > Broadband Industry Practices Webcast
        > Debate on Net Neutrality
        > March 11, 2008 - 2 PM ET
        > > http://www.vontv.net/events/080311/
        >
        > Susan has the bigger task, I think, as she will deal with Christopher
        > Yoo's odd indirection, and apparently copyright stakeholders are being
        > thrown into the mix (which really is off the point, but it suggests
        > the level the proceeding will be starting from).
        >
        > However, if she is true to form, she can be expected to make the
        > single most important point that needs to be stressed as the
        > discussion moves toward "network management" and "quality of service"
        > -- that the Internet platform is general purpose. This is the most
        > important technical point that must always be incorporated in the
        > discussion of NN, which will allow us to distinguish what really is
        > problematic and what is not. That point leads to practical and
        > constructive insight, providing the opportunity for all participants
        > to come to understanding of where numerous, diverse concerns are
        > appropriately positioned, while we discuss the free speech, privacy,
        > common carriage, antitrust, nondiscrimination and other key issues
        > that are implied in the "net neutrality" issue.
        >
        > Seth

        I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution
        of this incidentally recorded communication. Original authorship
        should be attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an
        expectation might hold for usual practice in ordinary social discourse
        to which one holds no claim of exclusive rights.
      • Seth Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2008
          She nailed it. Haven't seen all the testimony, but Crawford frames it
          exactly right. Her initial statement starts at 46 minutes in.
          Haven't seen the rest, including the back-and-forth, as I am living in
          a dialup universe . . .

          The link originally provided was dysfunctional throughout the hearing
          (and if you try to break the URL opaqueness barrier, that link
          actually appears to be an old link to something in February last
          year).

          But there's an archive link up now that works:

          > http://judiciary.edgeboss.net/real/judiciary/full/antitrust031108.smi

          . . . which works for me when I hack the extension:

          > http://judiciary.edgeboss.net/real/judiciary/full/antitrust031108.ram

          This is available off the hearing's dedicated page: