OneWebDay, Sept. 22 - next Saturday

  • Seth Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2007
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [Discuss] OneWebDay, Sept. 22 - next Saturday
      Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:22:04 -0400
      From: WWWhatsup <joly@...>
      To: isoc-ny@yahoogroups.com, discuss@...

      http://www.onewebday.org/?p=240

      OneWebDay, Sept. 22, is an Earth Day for the internet.

      Here’s a very short overview video that will give you the idea
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=twDyBfjUXv8 and a Rocketboom interview
      about OneWebDay http://www.rocketboom.com/vlog/rb_07_aug_20/flash. The
      first OneWebDay took place in 2006.

      It’s easy to take the web for granted. But it’s worth taking a moment
      to reflect on what the web could mean to humankind in the future.
      That’s the purpose of OneWebDay, held each September 22.

      There are substantial threats to the free flow of information online,
      all over the world. Many governments censor online content. (see
      http://opennet.net ). Many people in developing nations can’t get
      online at all. We need to ensure that the internet used by future
      generations will be open and empowering — access to the internet is
      central to the future of humanity.

      The idea behind OneWebDay is to encourage people to think of
      themselves as responsible for the internet, and to take good and
      visible actions on Sept. 22 that (1) celebrate the positive impact of
      the internet on the world and (2) shed light on the problems of access
      and information flow.

      OneWebDay is a global, decentralized event. We’re encouraging people
      around the world to meet up on Sept. 22 to talk about how the web
      could change lives around the world in the future. We’re aiming for at
      least fifty of these events, and thanks to the Internet Society and
      others we’ve already heard from Poland, Italy, Colombia, the
      Philippines, Bulgaria, Kenya, Syria, Iraq, Egypt, Belgium, Ethiopia,
      Tunisia, and other countries. In the US, there will be events in Los
      Angeles, Boston, Austin, and New York.

      Click on http://www.onewebday.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page page to see
      these events.

      These events can range from sponsoring a teaching event (how to edit a
      wiki, how to post a photo online etc) to helping a school or town set
      up internet connections, to having a panel of speakers talk about the
      ways the world has been/will be changed by the internet. We’re working
      with the Internet Society and the Internet Archive to encourage these
      offline events, but anyone not affiliated with these groups is more
      than welcome to get involved. In the US, the American Libraries
      Association, the Sunlight Foundation, the Center for Democracy &
      Technology
      http://communities.justicetalking.org/blogs/day14/default.aspx and
      other groups are working on OneWebDay-related announcements and
      events.

      If readers would like to stage an offline OneWebDay event, let us know
      at dan@... what you’re thinking of, and we’ll make sure
      there’s a wiki page for you on onewebday.org to help your planning.

      *Online,* we’re encouraging people to make their own short videos and
      post them on blip.tv or youtube or dotsub.com tagged “onewebday2007?.
      Suggested topics:

      + how the web has changed your life

      + how you’d like the web to change the world in the future

      + highlights of what you’ve seen online the day you make the video

      + your favorite online event ever

      + something you’ve done online with other people in other countries

      The internet is made of people, not just machines. It’s up to us to
      protect it. We can use OneWebDay around the world to raise awareness
      of the threats to the internet — including censorship, inadequate
      access, control of various kinds — and to celebrate the positive
      impact of the internet on human lives.

      ====

      Specifics for NY:

      New York City, 3-4pm, Washington Square Park Speakers to include Jimmy
      Wales, founder of Wikipedia; Andrew Baron, founder of Rocketboom; Dana
      Spiegel, NYCWireless; Birju Pandya, charityfocus.org; Lauren Klein,
      One Laptop Per Child.

      Rain Location: For Your Imagination, 22 West 27th Street, 6th Floor,
      New York, NY 10001

      Sept. 22, Noon to 2:30pm, free public classes in honor of OneWebDay at
      NYU’s Interactive Telecommunications Program, 721 Broadway, 4th Floor
      (cross street Waverly Place), *must rsvp at itp@... to
      attend.*

      Subjects to include:
      -how to build a router antenna and turn your home into a neighborhood
      hotspot
      -how to live stream video online
      -how to set up a blog and podcast
      -all about Creative Commons

      Plus, the iCommons/OneWebDay Party: part of 50 Great Parties Around
      the World.

      Time: 10pm

      Date: Sept. 22

      Place: For Your Imagination, 22 West 27th Street, 6th Floor, New
      York, NY 10001

      Who should attend: Anyone who likes the internet and its
      transformative effect on human lives

      Why you should attend: The internet is under threat around the
      world, and it’s up to us to celebrate and protect it.