RE: [decentralization] p2p vs the browser

  • Mike Dierken
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2007
      > My question would be: Will media-intensive, advertising-driven business
      models like Joost and Spotify
      > (similar to Joost, but for music) prevail in the near future or will
      browser-based
      > centralized services make for too hard competition (tv-links.co.uk,
      last.fm, etc)?
      You know, browsers can use non-centralized transports - it's just that
      nobody has made it easy yet.
      (Uh, I just read more of what you wrote & this is where you are going...)

      > and the service with the least intrusive ads wins the users in the long
      run, right?
      I think the service with the most /helpful/ ads wins the users in the long
      run. One way to think of ads are a form of advanced research - unfortunately
      today's ads aren't that advanced. These future helpful ads may become
      indistinguishable from 'intelligent agents' that do more than just show
      stuff - they could help initiate actions.
      http://glinden.blogspot.com/2007/05/esther-dyson-on-future-of-search.html