Re: [decentralization] The decline of P2P and Decentralisation

    Message 1 of 43 , May 2 8:34 AM
      Clay Shirky <clay@...> Wed, 2 May 2007 10:30:43
      >And finally (and perhaps most significantly) end users turn out not
      >to care as much about issues of local control as we imagined. At time
      >T+1 hour after the launch of any database-backed service, Marc Canter
      >sends out mail claiming that the service really wants to be hosted as
      >distributed but well-marked up data sets, but the advantages of LJ,
      >YT, and MS have nevertheless persisted in offering features users
      >prefer.

      As always there are shades of grey here. Drupal and phpBB have done
      wonders for democratising the ability to run a website based discussion
      forum for niche communities. It may not be P2P but it looks
      decentralised to me compared with LJ, YT and MS. "Anyone can run a
      server" is a powerful meme even if the server is running on cheap shared
      hosting rather than a machine in your front room.

      There is a solution to the "P2P is hard" problem. And that's to publish
      the protocols and build a reference platform leaving the community to
      deal with the deployment problem. BitTorrent is the classic case.

      There's one area that I still think is ripe for a fresh approach and I
      hinted at it in my first post that kicked off this discussion. And
      that's group chat. There's room for something that is somewhere in the
      mid space between IRC and Twitter. It feels to me like it needs a partly
      P2P, push, architecture. It needs that Jabber-Email-NNTP-Apache thing
      that "Anyone can run a server" for the bits that should be centralised.
      And after chat, there's voice, video and 3D worlds. Remember VRML? Will
      an OSS 2nd Life server allow doorways into distributed new worlds?

      --
      Julian Bond E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
      Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/ T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 25, 2010
        The two places where we can promote P2P as a design pattern right now
        is in the WHAT-WG of the W3C and the IETF. The WHAT-WG is the working
        group responsible for defining the HTML5 standard.

        Just last week I posted the following idea to the group's list and I'm
        trying to recruit people that can help us explore this idea:

        http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-January/024772.html

        Keep in mind that for some reason my mail-agent and my friend's mail
        agent broke the thread and it is separated into more than one thread
        at the moment.

        Gleicon has a few ideas for implementing this and I've gotten some
        tips from others like Todd over at HighScalability.

        If anyone on this list wants to participate or can indicate others to
        participate, that would be awesome. Right now I'm trying to call the
        attention of those with the technical knowledge necessary to take this
        forward. I'm a product manager with the skills to help organize this
        idea, but I don't know enough to make this happen alone.

        regards,

        Andrew
        @andrewdeandrade
        andrew at deandrade dot com dot br