Re: The decline of P2P and Decentralisation

  • Adam Fisk
    Message 1 of 43 , May 1 8:42 PM
      Totally agreed Rob. These systems are never labeled as p2p precisely
      because they work so well. Without SIP and similar/associated
      protocols, most VoIP systems would:

      1) not perform well enough
      2) cost too much.

      Their p2pness is a vital and invisible. Same with Skype. I think
      you'll see the same thing with Joost and the pending p2p video barrage.

      Distributed systems are also just inherently harder to implement, so
      there's lag time between a simple centralized implementation of
      anything requiring much bandwidth and a superior p2p implementation.
      Could you YouTube be to Joost/Veoh/SwarmCast what mp3.com was to
      Napster/Gnutella/Kazaa?

      -Adam

      --- In decentralization@yahoogroups.com, Robert Welbourn <robert@...>
      wrote:

      > Oh, I don't know: P2P for communication is doing just fine: look at
      > Skype and the emerging efforts in the IETF to define a P2P version
      of SIP.

      > There are already commercial IP phone systems that use P2P between
      > phones rather than a centralized server: Avaya's one-X and Aastra's
      > VentureIP (both based on technology developed by Nimcat Networks, which
      > was subsequently bought by Avaya). There's also Popular Telephony's
      > Peerio, and then there's SIPeerior Technologies who develop P2P SIP
      stacks.

      > Rob
    • Andrew de Andrade
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 25, 2010
        The two places where we can promote P2P as a design pattern right now
        is in the WHAT-WG of the W3C and the IETF. The WHAT-WG is the working
        group responsible for defining the HTML5 standard.

        Just last week I posted the following idea to the group's list and I'm
        trying to recruit people that can help us explore this idea:

        http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-January/024772.html

        Keep in mind that for some reason my mail-agent and my friend's mail
        agent broke the thread and it is separated into more than one thread
        at the moment.

        Gleicon has a few ideas for implementing this and I've gotten some
        tips from others like Todd over at HighScalability.

        If anyone on this list wants to participate or can indicate others to
        participate, that would be awesome. Right now I'm trying to call the
        attention of those with the technical knowledge necessary to take this
        forward. I'm a product manager with the skills to help organize this
        idea, but I don't know enough to make this happen alone.

        regards,

        Andrew
        @andrewdeandrade
        andrew at deandrade dot com dot br