Re: The decline of P2P and Decentralisation

  • Arkady
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hello, Brian

      I think, that you gave very correct analyses of what
      you call "firepower".

      The availability of bandwidth and relatively low cost
      of the bandwidth allows providing services like
      commercial Usenet servers and Rapidshare for what
      essentially is flat price models.

      Low cost of the bandwidth is the main reason behind
      one of the projects i develop - goMyPlace. In one line
      goMyPlace is a public reverse proxy (probably this is
      first ever public reverse proxy).

      If you run HTTP server and need fast proxy which
      stores data in cache on the fly - goMyPlace is one of
      the possible solutions. A bonus is that proxy hides IP
      address of the HTTP server and can do basic
      authentication before giving away the data.

      Such solutions make perfect sense considering the
      price of the bandwidth.

      best regards, larytet

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Andrew de Andrade
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 25, 2010
        The two places where we can promote P2P as a design pattern right now
        is in the WHAT-WG of the W3C and the IETF. The WHAT-WG is the working
        group responsible for defining the HTML5 standard.

        Just last week I posted the following idea to the group's list and I'm
        trying to recruit people that can help us explore this idea:

        http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-January/024772.html

        Keep in mind that for some reason my mail-agent and my friend's mail
        agent broke the thread and it is separated into more than one thread
        at the moment.

        Gleicon has a few ideas for implementing this and I've gotten some
        tips from others like Todd over at HighScalability.

        If anyone on this list wants to participate or can indicate others to
        participate, that would be awesome. Right now I'm trying to call the
        attention of those with the technical knowledge necessary to take this
        forward. I'm a product manager with the skills to help organize this
        idea, but I don't know enough to make this happen alone.

        regards,

        Andrew
        @andrewdeandrade
        andrew at deandrade dot com dot br