Re: [decentralization] The decline of P2P and Decentralisation

    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 30, 2007
      Clay Shirky <clay@...> Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:25:55
      >It still makes sense for IM, which is, by number of users, the
      >largest decentralized use case, probably by a couple orders of
      >magnitude.

      Skype is throwing up some issues here. Because the bulk of the system is
      decentralised it's very hard for them to offer centralised web services.
      Which in turn makes it hard to offer the sort of web client embedding
      that GTalk (and now AIM) can do.

      I'm sure others will point out that the real problem with Skype is also
      it's proprietary, closed wire protocol and difficulties with running
      server side code (the so called "naked Skype").

      There is a pattern here though for a mixed architecture. Mostly
      decentralised with reporting up to a centralised stats and web services
      server. And ideally where anyone can run one of these servers or build
      one on top of a well documented API. Move as much as possible of the
      peer to peer comms out to the edge, but still aggregate some of the
      system in the centre.

      >I got beat up a few years ago for suggesting that Napster was a
      >better architecture than Gnutella on every axis except legal risk;

      See Also Soulseek. Search across distributed file systems is still a
      problem. And this can be seen in BitTorrent.

      --
      Julian Bond E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
      Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/ T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 25, 2010
        The two places where we can promote P2P as a design pattern right now
        is in the WHAT-WG of the W3C and the IETF. The WHAT-WG is the working
        group responsible for defining the HTML5 standard.

        Just last week I posted the following idea to the group's list and I'm
        trying to recruit people that can help us explore this idea:

        http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-January/024772.html

        Keep in mind that for some reason my mail-agent and my friend's mail
        agent broke the thread and it is separated into more than one thread
        at the moment.

        Gleicon has a few ideas for implementing this and I've gotten some
        tips from others like Todd over at HighScalability.

        If anyone on this list wants to participate or can indicate others to
        participate, that would be awesome. Right now I'm trying to call the
        attention of those with the technical knowledge necessary to take this
        forward. I'm a product manager with the skills to help organize this
        idea, but I don't know enough to make this happen alone.

        regards,

        Andrew
        @andrewdeandrade
        andrew at deandrade dot com dot br