Re: [decentralization] The decline of P2P and Decentralisation

  • Douglas O'Flaherty
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 30, 2007
      [Referencing emails snipped for brevity & clarity]

      Greetings:

      Julian Bond started this thread with a great question: "Whatever
      happened to P2P and Decentralisation as a design pattern?" There have
      been a number of good cases put forward on both sides that have been
      thought provoking. And, the thread has evolved to cover the core issue.
      It isn't the technology, it's the business model that needs shaping.

      Technology is a tool - a means to the end. Stand-alone business models
      that truly support P2P design patterns have not emerged as strongly as
      predicted. Most P2P technologies are being deployed within a company
      that presents a centralized value proposition to the end-users. e.g.
      Google's GFS

      Recently, Brian Behlendorf posted: "Decentralized systems are also much,
      much harder to "monetize", to exploit the crowd of users to the unique
      advantage of one company, since nearly by definition they eliminate
      points of control." At the end of his post, he points out that expected
      functionality "would be very difficult to do if the data were truly
      decentralized."

      Today I ran across a news item on Vudu Labs. They are developing P2P
      distribution of movie content for the television on your own dedicated
      box in your living room. The distribution system is P2P on black boxes,
      which I would bet have strong (& centralized) DRM and billing associated
      with them in order to get the studios to agree to the program. Once
      again showing that it isn't the technology, it's the business model
      around the content that adds the value.

      http://news.com.com/Vudu+casts+its+spell+on+Hollywood+-+page+2/2100-1026_3-6180048-2.html?tag=st.next
      http://www.vudulabs.com

      doug
    • Andrew de Andrade
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 25, 2010
        The two places where we can promote P2P as a design pattern right now
        is in the WHAT-WG of the W3C and the IETF. The WHAT-WG is the working
        group responsible for defining the HTML5 standard.

        Just last week I posted the following idea to the group's list and I'm
        trying to recruit people that can help us explore this idea:

        http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-January/024772.html

        Keep in mind that for some reason my mail-agent and my friend's mail
        agent broke the thread and it is separated into more than one thread
        at the moment.

        Gleicon has a few ideas for implementing this and I've gotten some
        tips from others like Todd over at HighScalability.

        If anyone on this list wants to participate or can indicate others to
        participate, that would be awesome. Right now I'm trying to call the
        attention of those with the technical knowledge necessary to take this
        forward. I'm a product manager with the skills to help organize this
        idea, but I don't know enough to make this happen alone.

        regards,

        Andrew
        @andrewdeandrade
        andrew at deandrade dot com dot br