Re: [decentralization] The decline of P2P and Decentralisation

  • Gary Lawrence Murphy
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 25 6:27 AM

      J> ... But putting some of the function out on the edge where it
      J> took advantage of CPU and bandwidth was a good thing. As was
      J> letting anyone and everyone run servers.

      Unfortunately most of the very large ISPs took to denying their
      subscribers the right to run servers ... with the apparent exception
      of those virus-installed mail-relay servers that organized crime
      deploys for their spam networks, and if you want a truly distributed
      highly-profitable killer-app that was pure P2P, whether we like it or
      not, I suppose these spam engines would be it :(

      Prior to 9/11 I remember getting in a heated discussion with 3rd world
      internet policy makers because they wanted to roll out One-Way
      internet to their populations. Specifically, when I made the comment
      that Internet isn't much use as a television replacement, I was told
      by the delegate for Syria that I was being naive and "didn't
      understand their culture" -- I thought at the time that I did
      understand their no-edgetalk propaganda model, but now here today I
      see the vast majority of my own culture not only locked into the same
      consume-only model, but not caring in the least that this Internet
      thing should be like this.

      J> The other worry is that there's a generation of programmers
      J> growing up who reach for Ruby on Rails and a centralised server
      J> design on the basis that the scaling problem is solvable and
      J> can be dealt with later. Preferably, after the exit strategy.

      Heh. Were it not for the companies I know where this is open design
      policy, it would be funny. Sadly, though, your comment is all too true.

      --
      Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym at teledyn.com> =============================
      www.teledyn.com - blog.teledyn.com - justus.teledyn.com - sbp.teledyn.com
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 25, 2010
        The two places where we can promote P2P as a design pattern right now
        is in the WHAT-WG of the W3C and the IETF. The WHAT-WG is the working
        group responsible for defining the HTML5 standard.

        Just last week I posted the following idea to the group's list and I'm
        trying to recruit people that can help us explore this idea:

        http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-January/024772.html

        Keep in mind that for some reason my mail-agent and my friend's mail
        agent broke the thread and it is separated into more than one thread
        at the moment.

        Gleicon has a few ideas for implementing this and I've gotten some
        tips from others like Todd over at HighScalability.

        If anyone on this list wants to participate or can indicate others to
        participate, that would be awesome. Right now I'm trying to call the
        attention of those with the technical knowledge necessary to take this
        forward. I'm a product manager with the skills to help organize this
        idea, but I don't know enough to make this happen alone.

        regards,

        Andrew
        @andrewdeandrade
        andrew at deandrade dot com dot br