The decline of P2P and Decentralisation

    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 23, 2007
      Whatever happened to P2P and Decentralisation as a design pattern?

      Wordpress and Movable type became Myspace and Facebook.

      RSS became Google Reader

      Distributed email servers and desktop clients have become Google Mail

      Posting a Quicktime file on your site has become YouTube

      Running your own shoutcast server has become Last.FM tag radio

      IRC has become Twitter

      This post was prompted by Twitter and Twitter's success. If you were
      going to design this from scratch knowing what they know now, would you
      really use a pull architecture, centralised web system and Ruby on
      Rails?

      Did we all forget about Decentralisation or has the pendulum just swung
      out to the opposite end and is due to swing back any time now?

      ps. I know those questions are strawmen and the truth is that (almost)
      everything that has ever happened is still happening.

      --
      Julian Bond E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
      Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/ T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 25, 2010
        The two places where we can promote P2P as a design pattern right now
        is in the WHAT-WG of the W3C and the IETF. The WHAT-WG is the working
        group responsible for defining the HTML5 standard.

        Just last week I posted the following idea to the group's list and I'm
        trying to recruit people that can help us explore this idea:

        http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-January/024772.html

        Keep in mind that for some reason my mail-agent and my friend's mail
        agent broke the thread and it is separated into more than one thread
        at the moment.

        Gleicon has a few ideas for implementing this and I've gotten some
        tips from others like Todd over at HighScalability.

        If anyone on this list wants to participate or can indicate others to
        participate, that would be awesome. Right now I'm trying to call the
        attention of those with the technical knowledge necessary to take this
        forward. I'm a product manager with the skills to help organize this
        idea, but I don't know enough to make this happen alone.

        regards,

        Andrew
        @andrewdeandrade
        andrew at deandrade dot com dot br