Re: [decentralization] Swarmcast Receives More Than $5 Million in Funding

  • Mike Dierken
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
      That sounds suspiciously likey hypermedia. You probably don't need
      response headers for that, but you may need a multi-part response
      body.

      On 11/30/06, Lucas Gonze <lucas@...> wrote:
      > Mark Baker wrote:
      > >> Hi Justin,
      > >>
      > >> Given that Swarmcast is not HTTP, how does it fit into REST?
      > >
      > > Not that REST requires HTTP, of course 8-)
      > >
      > > But a cloud can present an HTTP interface without being HTTP throughout.
      >
      > Any other legal permutations? How about:
      > - request a chunk of a file split into two pieces.
      > - get back the chunk along with a response header that gives a URI for
      > the other chunk, on some other server.
      >
      > -Lucas
      >

      > Announce or discover P2P conferences on the P2P Conference Wiki at
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Justin Chapweske
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
        Swarmcast 3.0 is a lot different than Swarmcast 1.0. Its pretty much
        entirely HTTP. You can download the standalone proxy at http://
        swarmcast.net/install/ and use it as a full-blown caching proxy for
        any app that speaks HTTP.

        On Nov 30, 2006, at 10:09 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

        > Justin Chapweske wrote:
        >> We aim to keep our services open and following
        >> sound REST principals so that it is extremely simple to integrate and
        >> interoperate. Basically, if you build it and it is HTTP, Swarmcast
        >> should work with it with little or no changes.
        >
        > Hi Justin,
        >
        > Given that Swarmcast is not HTTP, how does it fit into REST?
        >
        > -Lucas
        >

        > Announce or discover P2P conferences on the P2P Conference Wiki at
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rikard Linde
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
          Congratulations Justin, go for it:-)

          Rikard

        • cjenscook
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
            Brilliant technology, Justin, congratulations.

            It's just a pity that bringing in investment from venture capital in
            Companies in this way tends to dilute and potentially compromise the
            drive and vision that got you where you are.

            An emerging alternative would have been to use a US LLC or UK LLP
            (and you can do this across borders) to bring in Investors
            as "Capital Partners" and to share the revenues with them. The
            Canadians use "Trusts" to do this in a big way, but that is complex,
            costly and imperfect in other ways.

            Such an "Open Corporate" model would also mean that you could bring
            in licensees also as Member/Partners on a revenue-sharing basis.

            And dispense with share options and bring in staff as partners, also
            on a revenue share.

            In other words, you can raise development finance not by selling
            ownership and control, but rather proportional "Equity Shares" in
            future GROSS revenues.

            Good luck, anyway.

            Best Regards

            Chris Cook

            --- In decentralization@yahoogroups.com, Justin Chapweske
            <justin@...> wrote:

            > To all those that remember Swarmcast from the OpenCola days, we're
            back!

            > http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/default.cfm?
            > Action=ReleaseDetail&ID=14660
            >
            > Swarmcast Receives More Than $5 Million in Funding
            >
            > Minneapolis, MN 55414
            >
            > November 30 2006
            >
            > Swarmcast Receives More Than $5 Million in Funding from Strategic
            > Japanese Investors
            >
            > Swarmcast Technology to Enable High-Definition Broadband TV
            Channels
            > in Japan and the U.S.
            >
            > MINNEAPOLIS (November 30, 2006) - Swarmcast, the Minneapolis- and
            > Tokyo-based inventor of grid network content distribution via the
            > Internet, today announced that its parent company, Onion Networks
            > Japan, has recently completed a venture round, raising more than
            US
            > $5 million capital. The funding round was led by two prestigious
            > Japanese investment firms: Bridge Capital Fund (BCF), a Nikko
            > antfactory- and Nikko Cordial-sponsored venture fund, and Nippon
            > Venture Capital (NVCC). The additional capital will be used to
            > advance the company's growth and to launch new services for
            > delivering commercial High Definition-quality video over the
            Internet
            > in the US and Japan.
            >
            > "We are pleased to have completed this venture financing round
            with
            > these highly regarded Japanese venture capital firms," said Justin
            > Chapweske, president and CEO of Swarmcast. "We are now extremely
            well-
            > positioned to capitalize on our mature products as demand for HD
            over
            > broadband becomes ubiquitous."
            >
            > Swarmcast currently licenses its technology for distribution of
            250GB
            > Hollywood movies to North America's largest network of digital
            > cinemas. Swarmcast is now offering its services for the delivery
            of
            > large HD media files to consumers over standard broadband.
            >
            > For the rapidly growing broadband video industry, the company's
            > Swarmcast technology enables video delivery sites and content
            owners
            > to offer HD-quality video over the existing internet
            infrastructure
            > at dramatically reduced bandwidth costs without the need for
            > additional integration or infrastructure.
            >
            > "Swarmcast holds the last piece of the puzzle to commercialize
            > entertainment over the Internet for the masses," said BCF Managing
            > Partner Yoav Keidar. "Their innovative software platform will
            enable
            > extreme differentiation for content providers by way of providing
            > full-screen HDTV over the Internet and we are excited to invest
            and
            > advance this ground-breaking technology."
            >
            > About Swarmcast
            > Swarmcast, previously known as Onion Networks, powers the reliable
            > distribution of on-demand video at High Definition-quality levels
            > over the existing internet infrastructure. The software is
            globally
            > used in digital cinema, data outsourcing, consumer electronics
            > devices and professional sports. The company founder, Justin
            > Chapweske, invented the basic grid-based delivery technology in
            1999
            > and formed Onion Networks in 2001.
            >
            > Media Contact:
            > Paula Gottlob/PGPR; 206-281-5389; PGPR@...
            >
            > Paula Gottlob (PGPR@...)
            > Swarmcast.com
            > 212 2nd Streert Suite 128
            > Minneapolis, MN 55414
            > Phone : 206-281-5389

          • Axel P. Mustad
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
              Dear Chris,

              I cannot find any contact information on you. I could need some help in
              setting up an LLP (in UK) for the formation of a co-operative innovation
              (knowledge sharing / IPR managment) and trading system (securities
              exchange with belonging clearinghouse mechanism) for community based
              collaborative development of nanotechnologies for sustainable and futute
              energy technologies. We are are a very large group of universities,
              industry networks (trade bodies), finance institutions and government
              (Nordic, EU, OECD) bodies looking into cooperation. Please contact me
              directly at axel@... and leave me a telephone number as I want to
              speak with you. Thanks..

              Best wishes,

              Axel P. Mustad

            • cjenscook
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                Hi Axel

                I dropped you an e-mail at NQGC.

                You can get me on

                0r

                Best Regards

                Chris

                --- In decentralization@yahoogroups.com, "Axel P. Mustad" <axel@...>

              • techlists@zudha.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Justin,

                  As they say, every dog has its day!!

                  Finally, the wait has proven to be worth!

                  Congratulations and keep us posted of new developments post funding.

                  All the best to Swarmcast.

                  Regards,

                  Rajesh
                  http://samooha.sourceforge.net