Swarmcast Receives More Than $5 Million in Funding

  • Justin Chapweske
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
      To all those that remember Swarmcast from the OpenCola days, we're back!

      http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/default.cfm?
      Action=ReleaseDetail&ID=14660

      Swarmcast Receives More Than $5 Million in Funding

      Minneapolis, MN 55414

      November 30 2006

      Swarmcast Receives More Than $5 Million in Funding from Strategic
      Japanese Investors

      Swarmcast Technology to Enable High-Definition Broadband TV Channels
      in Japan and the U.S.

      MINNEAPOLIS (November 30, 2006) - Swarmcast, the Minneapolis- and
      Tokyo-based inventor of grid network content distribution via the
      Internet, today announced that its parent company, Onion Networks
      Japan, has recently completed a venture round, raising more than US
      $5 million capital. The funding round was led by two prestigious
      Japanese investment firms: Bridge Capital Fund (BCF), a Nikko
      antfactory- and Nikko Cordial-sponsored venture fund, and Nippon
      Venture Capital (NVCC). The additional capital will be used to
      advance the company's growth and to launch new services for
      delivering commercial High Definition-quality video over the Internet
      in the US and Japan.

      "We are pleased to have completed this venture financing round with
      these highly regarded Japanese venture capital firms," said Justin
      Chapweske, president and CEO of Swarmcast. "We are now extremely well-
      positioned to capitalize on our mature products as demand for HD over
      broadband becomes ubiquitous."

      Swarmcast currently licenses its technology for distribution of 250GB
      Hollywood movies to North America's largest network of digital
      cinemas. Swarmcast is now offering its services for the delivery of
      large HD media files to consumers over standard broadband.

      For the rapidly growing broadband video industry, the company's
      Swarmcast technology enables video delivery sites and content owners
      to offer HD-quality video over the existing internet infrastructure
      at dramatically reduced bandwidth costs without the need for
      additional integration or infrastructure.

      "Swarmcast holds the last piece of the puzzle to commercialize
      entertainment over the Internet for the masses," said BCF Managing
      Partner Yoav Keidar. “Their innovative software platform will enable
      extreme differentiation for content providers by way of providing
      full-screen HDTV over the Internet and we are excited to invest and
      advance this ground-breaking technology.”

      About Swarmcast
      Swarmcast, previously known as Onion Networks, powers the reliable
      distribution of on-demand video at High Definition-quality levels
      over the existing internet infrastructure. The software is globally
      used in digital cinema, data outsourcing, consumer electronics
      devices and professional sports. The company founder, Justin
      Chapweske, invented the basic grid-based delivery technology in 1999
      and formed Onion Networks in 2001.

      Media Contact:
      Paula Gottlob/PGPR; 206-281-5389; PGPR@...

      Paula Gottlob (PGPR@...)
      Swarmcast.com
      212 2nd Streert Suite 128
      Minneapolis, MN 55414
      Phone : 206-281-5389
    • Axel P. Mustad
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
        Justin,

        Would it be smart to cooperate in implementing this http://
        cmapspublic.ihmc.us:80/servlet/SBReadResourceServlet?
        rid=1161174559451_1892856575_804&partName=htmltext system?

        Please let me know. Thanks.

        Best wishes,

        Axel P. Mustad

      • Justin Chapweske
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
          Hi Alex,

          Basically Swarmcast can be used to facilitate most any type of media
          delivery use case. We aim to keep our services open and following
          sound REST principals so that it is extremely simple to integrate and
          interoperate. Basically, if you build it and it is HTTP, Swarmcast
          should work with it with little or no changes.

          Thanks,

          -Justin

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
            Justin Chapweske wrote:
            > We aim to keep our services open and following
            > sound REST principals so that it is extremely simple to integrate and
            > interoperate. Basically, if you build it and it is HTTP, Swarmcast
            > should work with it with little or no changes.

            Hi Justin,

            Given that Swarmcast is not HTTP, how does it fit into REST?

            -Lucas
          • Mark Baker
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
              On 11/30/06, Lucas Gonze <lucas@...> wrote:
              > Justin Chapweske wrote:
              > > We aim to keep our services open and following
              > > sound REST principals so that it is extremely simple to integrate and
              > > interoperate. Basically, if you build it and it is HTTP, Swarmcast
              > > should work with it with little or no changes.
              >
              > Hi Justin,
              >
              > Given that Swarmcast is not HTTP, how does it fit into REST?

              Not that REST requires HTTP, of course 8-)

              But a cloud can present an HTTP interface without being HTTP throughout.

              Mark.
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
                Mark Baker wrote:
                > On 11/30/06, Lucas Gonze <lucas@...> wrote:
                >> Justin Chapweske wrote:
                >>> We aim to keep our services open and following
                >>> sound REST principals so that it is extremely simple to integrate and
                >>> interoperate. Basically, if you build it and it is HTTP, Swarmcast
                >>> should work with it with little or no changes.
                >> Hi Justin,
                >>
                >> Given that Swarmcast is not HTTP, how does it fit into REST?
                >
                > Not that REST requires HTTP, of course 8-)
                >
                > But a cloud can present an HTTP interface without being HTTP throughout.

                Any other legal permutations? How about:
                - request a chunk of a file split into two pieces.
                - get back the chunk along with a response header that gives a URI for
                the other chunk, on some other server.

                -Lucas
              • Mike Dierken
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
                  That sounds suspiciously likey hypermedia. You probably don't need
                  response headers for that, but you may need a multi-part response
                  body.

                  On 11/30/06, Lucas Gonze <lucas@...> wrote:
                  > Mark Baker wrote:
                  > >> Hi Justin,
                  > >>
                  > >> Given that Swarmcast is not HTTP, how does it fit into REST?
                  > >
                  > > Not that REST requires HTTP, of course 8-)
                  > >
                  > > But a cloud can present an HTTP interface without being HTTP throughout.
                  >
                  > Any other legal permutations? How about:
                  > - request a chunk of a file split into two pieces.
                  > - get back the chunk along with a response header that gives a URI for
                  > the other chunk, on some other server.
                  >
                  > -Lucas
                  >

                  > Announce or discover P2P conferences on the P2P Conference Wiki at
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Justin Chapweske
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
                    Swarmcast 3.0 is a lot different than Swarmcast 1.0. Its pretty much
                    entirely HTTP. You can download the standalone proxy at http://
                    swarmcast.net/install/ and use it as a full-blown caching proxy for
                    any app that speaks HTTP.

                    On Nov 30, 2006, at 10:09 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

                    > Justin Chapweske wrote:
                    >> We aim to keep our services open and following
                    >> sound REST principals so that it is extremely simple to integrate and
                    >> interoperate. Basically, if you build it and it is HTTP, Swarmcast
                    >> should work with it with little or no changes.
                    >
                    > Hi Justin,
                    >
                    > Given that Swarmcast is not HTTP, how does it fit into REST?
                    >
                    > -Lucas
                    >

                    > Announce or discover P2P conferences on the P2P Conference Wiki at
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Rikard Linde
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
                      Congratulations Justin, go for it:-)

                      Rikard

                    • cjenscook
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                        Brilliant technology, Justin, congratulations.

                        It's just a pity that bringing in investment from venture capital in
                        Companies in this way tends to dilute and potentially compromise the
                        drive and vision that got you where you are.

                        An emerging alternative would have been to use a US LLC or UK LLP
                        (and you can do this across borders) to bring in Investors
                        as "Capital Partners" and to share the revenues with them. The
                        Canadians use "Trusts" to do this in a big way, but that is complex,
                        costly and imperfect in other ways.

                        Such an "Open Corporate" model would also mean that you could bring
                        in licensees also as Member/Partners on a revenue-sharing basis.

                        And dispense with share options and bring in staff as partners, also
                        on a revenue share.

                        In other words, you can raise development finance not by selling
                        ownership and control, but rather proportional "Equity Shares" in
                        future GROSS revenues.

                        Good luck, anyway.

                        Best Regards

                        Chris Cook

                        --- In decentralization@yahoogroups.com, Justin Chapweske
                        <justin@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > entertainment over the Internet for the masses," said BCF Managing
                        > Partner Yoav Keidar. "Their innovative software platform will
                        enable
                        > extreme differentiation for content providers by way of providing
                        > full-screen HDTV over the Internet and we are excited to invest
                        and
                        > advance this ground-breaking technology."
                        >
                        > About Swarmcast
                        > Swarmcast, previously known as Onion Networks, powers the reliable
                        > distribution of on-demand video at High Definition-quality levels
                        > over the existing internet infrastructure. The software is
                        globally
                        > used in digital cinema, data outsourcing, consumer electronics
                        > devices and professional sports. The company founder, Justin
                        > Chapweske, invented the basic grid-based delivery technology in

                      • Axel P. Mustad
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                          Dear Chris,

                          I cannot find any contact information on you. I could need some help in
                          setting up an LLP (in UK) for the formation of a co-operative innovation
                          (knowledge sharing / IPR managment) and trading system (securities
                          exchange with belonging clearinghouse mechanism) for community based
                          collaborative development of nanotechnologies for sustainable and futute
                          energy technologies. We are are a very large group of universities,
                          industry networks (trade bodies), finance institutions and government
                          (Nordic, EU, OECD) bodies looking into cooperation. Please contact me
                          directly at axel@... and leave me a telephone number as I want to
                          speak with you. Thanks..

                          Best wishes,

                          Axel P. Mustad

                        • cjenscook
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                            Hi Axel

                            I dropped you an e-mail at NQGC.

                            You can get me on

                            0r

                            Best Regards

                            Chris

                            --- In decentralization@yahoogroups.com, "Axel P. Mustad" <axel@...>

                          • techlists@zudha.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
                              Justin,

                              As they say, every dog has its day!!

                              Finally, the wait has proven to be worth!

                              Congratulations and keep us posted of new developments post funding.

                              All the best to Swarmcast.

                              Regards,

                              Rajesh
                              http://samooha.sourceforge.net