Don't Let the RIAA Put the Net at Risk!

  • Seth Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2004
      > http://www.nyfairuse.org/action/ftc/

      Don't Let the RIAA Put the Net at Risk!

      Tell the FTC that the Internet is Peer to Peer, It is Ours, and
      We Intend to Keep It!

      Please forward this notice to any other concerned parties you may
      know.

      Please tell the FTC not to allow a few rich cartels and
      monopolies such as the RIAA, MPAA and Microsoft to put the
      Internet at risk:
      http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/filesharing/comments.htm

      What's Going On:

      The FTC has issued a call for participation announcing a workshop
      on "P2P Filesharing" technology to take place in Washington, DC
      this December 15th and 16th.

      An RIAA-sponsored CapAnalysis paper submitted to the FTC, calls
      for an investigation of "P2P Filesharing" applications for
      deceptive practices that affect the privacy and security of
      users, subjecting them to such risks as adware, viruses, exposure
      to undesirable material, impairments of computer function, and
      last but not least, liability to charges of copyright
      infringement. Congress is also calling the FTC to investigate
      these products.

      We call all those who know the Internet is a common good, who
      make productive use of it and who develop applications for it as
      a regular part of their daily lives, to join us in telling the
      FTC what the real sources of these risks are.

      Please tell the FTC not to allow a few rich cartels and
      monopolies such as the RIAA, MPAA and Microsoft to put the
      Internet at risk:
      http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/filesharing/comments.htm

      Get On the Bus!

      We are organizing a caravan of concerned citizens to travel to
      the nation's capital and defend our rights and powers against the
      RIAA, the MPAA and Microsoft.

      When we arrive:

      * We will call the FTC to protect Internet users by acting
      against a few rich cartels and monopolies that impede innovation
      and access to robust solutions, choice, transparency and control.

      * We will call the FTC to focus their attention on the real
      sources of the risks in question, and to respond to them
      appropriately.

      * We will pose the question to the FTC of how they can
      distinguish the applications they have selected for consideration
      at this workshop from the multitude of applications of the
      Internet and the ordinary functions of operating systems now in
      use on millions of interconnected desktops across the planet.

      * We will press the FTC to explain what risks are actually
      unique to the applications they have singled out.

      * We will call the FTC to separate copyright matters from
      consideration of the private interests of computer owners.

      * We will call the FTC to refer copyright policy to the
      appropriate body, the United States Congress.

      Please submit comments to the FTC here:
      http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/filesharing/comments.htm

      Please contact us to let us know you will join us in this action
      and to offer your assistance with travel, lodging and sustenance:
      http://www.nyfairuse.org/cgi-bin/nyfu/contactus

      Links:

      The FTC "P2P Filesharing" Workshop:
      http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/filesharing/index.htm

      The CapAnalysis/RIAA Paper:
      http://ipcentral.info/blog/P2P%20White%20Paper.doc

      House and Senate Members Urge FTC Action Against P2P:
      http://www.gnutellanews.com/article/13743

      >From Clean System to Zombie Bot in Four Minutes:

      In Praise of P2P:
      http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_id=3422905
      New Yorkers for Fair Use - www.nyfairuse.org

      --

      DRM is Theft! We are the Stakeholders!

      New Yorkers for Fair Use
      http://www.nyfairuse.org

      exclusive rights.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2004
        When are we going to demonstrate in front of Microsoft in Redmond WA?
        I live 2 miles from there and I have a lot of time on my hands.
        I am good at making large signs and use them several times every week.
         http://epjc.net/op/op.htm
        TOdd

        Dear Commissioners,
        I support the end to end principle in networks which has been long established and which coincides with natural law and with the freedom of individuals.

        There is more at stake in the architecture of the internet than the passing annoyances of special interest groups.  It is impossible to regulate semantic representation. Semantics are a shared process involving a speaker and a listener. Both are equal owners of the shared abstraction.  Get over it.

        The law for chattel property is a poor model for governing IP. Ultimately, there can be no governance of IP.

        Please give up your effort to extend America's command economy even further than already established.

        Please give up your effort to extend political control over society, and your project to coerce royalties from the population and remove any countervailing force to that coercion, or limitation on the royalties levied on the population for our own cultural content.

        If you cannot restrain yourselfs from these illegitimate projects, please find some other way that does not crippling the telecommunication networks, for the sake of future generations.

        Todd Boyle CPA
        Kirkland WA
        (425) 827-3107

        At 11:28 AM 12/9/2004, Seth Johnson wrote:

> [...]

            * We will press the FTC to explain what risks are actually
        unique to the applications they have singled out.

            * We will call the FTC to separate copyright matters from
        consideration of the private interests of computer owners.

            * We will call the FTC to refer copyright policy to the
        appropriate body, the United States Congress.

        Please submit comments to the FTC here:
        http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/filesharing/comments.htm

        Please contact us to let us know you will join us in this action
        and to offer your assistance with travel, lodging and sustenance:
        http://www.nyfairuse.org/cgi-bin/nyfu/contactus

        Links:

        The FTC "P2P Filesharing" Workshop:
        http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/filesharing/index.htm

        The CapAnalysis/RIAA Paper:
        http://ipcentral.info/blog/P2P%20White%20Paper.doc

        House and Senate Members Urge FTC Action Against P2P:

        Announce or discover P2P conferences on the P2P Conference Wiki at
        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/