Rodi

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
      With news that BitTorrent is now taking a significant amount of internet
      traffic (20-30-40% take your pick), "Rodi" looks worth investigating.

      http://larytet.sourceforge.net/

      Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
      Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
      Personal WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
      M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
        On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Julian Bond wrote:
        > With news that BitTorrent is now taking a significant amount of internet
        > traffic (20-30-40% take your pick), "Rodi" looks worth investigating.
        >
        > http://larytet.sourceforge.net/

        "HTTP based message exchange between tracker and clients is too expensive
        both in terms of the server CPU consumption and upstream bandwidth.
        Compatibility issue between tracker and clients can be solved in the
        approach using compact binary packets for control stream."
        "There is no reason to send data over TCP if client is not going to use
        flow control of TCP."
        "In the first phase i am going to fake RTP packets."

        I love the way that P2P brings out inventiveness, but I wish that somebody
        would work on making BitTorrent fit more easily into the flow of HTTP
        applications. The coolest thing about BT from my perspective is the way
        it inherits some of HTTP's trust model, given that the tracker host is
        more or less the same as the HTTP host.

        - Lucas
      • Brian Behlendorf
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
          On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Lucas Gonze wrote:
          > I love the way that P2P brings out inventiveness, but I wish that somebody
          > would work on making BitTorrent fit more easily into the flow of HTTP
          > applications. The coolest thing about BT from my perspective is the way
          > it inherits some of HTTP's trust model, given that the tracker host is
          > more or less the same as the HTTP host.

          Some people I know are interested in funding some open-source development
          around integrating BT into both Apache and Mozilla; a module for Apache
          that would create .torrent files and be a tracker automatically for
          designated files, and modifying Mozilla such that deliveries of files in
          some sort of application/x-bittorrent format (or whatever MIME type) are
          transparently handled as if Mozilla was a BT client. There's lots more
          details of course - it's not my project, but I've been asked if I know
          anyone willing and capable to work on such a project, and thought I'd
          mention it here. Let me know off-list if you are.

          Brian
        • Wes Felter
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2004
            On Nov 7, 2004, at 1:48 PM, Julian Bond wrote:

            > With news that BitTorrent is now taking a significant amount of
            > internet
            > traffic (20-30-40% take your pick), "Rodi" looks worth investigating.

            What does one have to do with the other?

            I'm skeptical about some of the premises behind Rodi (and UDP protocols
            in general) as well as the chances of any "BitTorrent killer" gaining
            traction. (Anyone remember Slurpie?)

            Wes Felter - wesley@... - http://felter.org/wesley/