milestones: NY Times and Coral

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2004
      This group came into being four and a half years ago, at a time when
      mainstream news outlets consistently took the line that copyright is
      property. So it's remarkable to see this editorial in the NY Times today,
      showing that the points we all worked out back then are finally making it
      to the mainstream:

      From http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/30/opinion/30mon3.html?th
      The legal battles over file-sharing are usually construed as a fight over
      intellectual property rights, plain and simple. ... But the broader
      issue is the distribution of information. ... These are thorny issues
      indeed. Freedom of information is at the root of American democracy, and
      yet every day we see that freedom being compromised, controlled and
      limited. The Grokster decision is a ruling in favor of keeping our bets
      open about which technologies will turn out to serve our freedoms best.

      A related data point is that, last week, Coral went live with an HTTP
      gateway into DHT space, and aside from minor bugs worked well. At the
      time this group and community were most active, we were so aware of the
      possibility of what Coral has done that we considered it a fact. But
      that's not true -- it took years.

      So this post is to mark the amount of time it really took, and also to
      celebrate the fact that it did happen in the end. A toast, I guess.