Is there any reputation-based p2p system out there?

  • Nazareno Andrade
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2003
      Hi there.

      Does anybody know of any p2p system (probably file-sharing) that has any
      mechanism of prioritizing requests based on contributions other than KazaA??

      I've seen several theoretical proposals, but I have no knowledge of any
      deployed (i.e., with a significant base of users) system that uses this
      kind of mechanisms.

      Nazareno.

      Nazareno Andrade
      Mestrando em Informática
      LSD - DSC/UFCG
      Campina Grande - Brasil
      nazareno@...
      http://lsd.dsc.ufcg.edu.br/~nazareno/
    • Nazareno Andrade

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
          Hi there.

          Does anybody know of any p2p system (probably file-sharing) that has any
          mechanism of prioritizing requests based on contributions other than KazaA??

          I've seen several theoretical proposals, but I have no knowledge of any
          deployed (i.e., with a significant base of users) system that uses this
          kind of mechanisms.

          Thanks in advance,

          Nazareno.

          Nazareno Andrade
          Mestrando em Informática
          LSD - DSC/UFCG
          Campina Grande - Brasil
          nazareno@...
          http://lsd.dsc.ufcg.edu.br/~nazareno/
        • Tiago Macambira
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2004
            On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:17:58 -0300, Nazareno Andrade
            <nazareno@...> wrote:
            > Does anybody know of any p2p system (probably file-sharing) that has any
            > mechanism of prioritizing requests based on contributions other than KazaA??

            As fas as I know, kazaa records the user "karma" internally in each
            node. Fake/untrusted clients can announce a higher karma if they so
            desire, rendering this its "karma" system useless and prone to abuses.

            Anyway, emule, a edonkey clone, has a "credit system" that influences
            how peers are ranked in other peers' upload queue. I think it is in
            the same line of what you are looking for. See
            http://www.emule-project.org/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1&rm=show_topic&topic_id=134

            This "credit system" is far from being perfect and there's been quite
            a lot of noise in emule's developers forum about its effectiveness.

            Perhaps bittorrent and its "tit-for-tat" download approach and
            edonkeys "horde" could also be accounted as "mechanism of
            prioritizing requests based on [a peer's previous] contributions".

            Cheers,
            Tiago Alves Macambira