Re: [decentralization] Creative Commons warrantees and emergent networks

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      There are several threads here. One is to about observing a pattern
      where damage in emergent networks can be more or less localized for a
      variety of reasons, including legal. Another is about the Creative
      Commons warrantee, which may affect the degree to which damage is
      localized. Another is about whether the CC warrantee is good or bad.

      There's another, less visible, theme, which is *all* effects of CC
      licensing on emergent networks: CC-tagged resources always have
      metadata, and that should make them more useful.

      - Lucas

      On Sunday, Nov 30, 2003, at 20:13 America/New_York, Mike Linksvayer
      wrote:
      > I think you were also making a far broader point concerning whether
      > a network is damaged more if individual nodes are heavily damaged
      > or damage is spread around a subgraph -- no idea, and feels like it
      > needs more definition.

      > Many people don't like the warranty. I notice you recently added
      > a comment to <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/3681>, a blog
      > entry about the issue. Warranties in all likelyhood will be optional
      > in some form in v2 of the CC licenses.
    • Scott Raymond
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2003
        Steve Gillmor: "BitTorrent and RSS Create Disruptive Revolution"

        Gillmor proposes using BT to transport RSS files, in order to reduce
        bandwidth costs for extremely popular RSS files. A fine idea, except
        that BT trackers incur such overhead that it's a terrible protocol for
        distributing such small files.

        As I see it, the *real* potential of combining BT and RSS is in the
        reverse: use RSS to publish .torrent URLs. Configure your news
        aggregator to pass all new .torrents to the BT client, and you've got
        yourself a media aggregator that uses open standards, plays well with
        the existing tools, and is easy on the content provider's servers.

        That combination allows indie media producers (audioblogs, videoblogs,
        what have you) to reach a mass audience in a scaleable way, without
        crippling bandwidth costs. And, it allows media consumers to subscribe
        to feeds from trusted sources -- whether official or unofficial, mass
        audience or niche -- instead of hunting for the .torrent of the latest
        Alias episode (or whatever). A decentralized TiVo "season pass".

        http://scottraymond.net/archive.php?id=4745#4745

        Scott Raymond
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
          Scott Raymond <sco@...> wrote:
          >As I see it, the *real* potential of combining BT and RSS is in the
          >reverse: use RSS to publish .torrent URLs. Configure your news
          >aggregator to pass all new .torrents to the BT client, and you've got
          >yourself a media aggregator that uses open standards, plays well with
          >the existing tools, and is easy on the content provider's servers.

          This can be done right now and I believe someone is working on an RSS
          feed of .torrents.

          The problem I think is the location of all the parts. BitTorrent has a
          server component and doesn't play well with NAT. In theory desktop
          aggregators could build the protocol into their code. This would be good
          because it would mean that client BT code would stay running and serve
          as an additional source while using background processing to do the
          downloads. But it's bad because they are probably behind NAT and
          probably can't act as a tracking server.

          --
          Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond@...
          Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
            On Dec 17, 2003, at 2:18 AM, Julian Bond wrote:

            > Scott Raymond <sco@...> wrote:
            >> As I see it, the *real* potential of combining BT and RSS is in the
            >> reverse: use RSS to publish .torrent URLs. Configure your news
            >> aggregator to pass all new .torrents to the BT client, and you've got
            >> yourself a media aggregator that uses open standards, plays well with
            >> the existing tools, and is easy on the content provider's servers.
            >
            > This can be done right now and I believe someone is working on an RSS
            > feed of .torrents.
            >
            > The problem I think is the location of all the parts. BitTorrent has a
            > server component and doesn't play well with NAT. In theory desktop
            > aggregators could build the protocol into their code. This would be
            > good
            > because it would mean that client BT code would stay running and serve
            > as an additional source while using background processing to do the
            > downloads. But it's bad because they are probably behind NAT and
            > probably can't act as a tracking server.

            If you have a Web site/RSS feed, it's served by a centralized server.
            So you just need to get a BT tracker onto that server. (Are you
            listening, Six Apart and UserLand?)

            Wes Felter - wesley@... - http://felter.org/wesley/