New legal threats from Nullsoft on WASTE

  • Clay Shirky
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2003
      http://www.corante.com/many/

      Now it's *really* like gnutella...

      -clay
    • Wes Felter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
        http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1012833.html

        Obviously the bit about WASTE being an unauthorized release was spin.

        --
        Wes Felter - wesley@... - http://felter.org/wesley/
      • Clay Shirky
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
          > http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1012833.html
          >
          > Obviously the bit about WASTE being an unauthorized release was spin.

          It's not entirely clear that it was spin, since he may have a 'work for
          hire' contract, meaning he would not have been authorized to release the
          code even if he had written every line of it.

          My guess is that if there was a suit against anyone who tried to defend the
          code based on the GPL, AOL would win handily. However, as with Gnutella,
          WASTE will, if it proves to be useful, mutate so quickly that the point will
          be moot. The main effect of the legalese on those pages will probably be as
          a defense should AOL get sued by the RIAA or the US Government.

          -c
        • Wes Felter
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
            on 6/4/03 2:19 PM, Clay Shirky at clay@... wrote:

            >> http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1012833.html
            >>
            >> Obviously the bit about WASTE being an unauthorized release was spin.
            >
            > It's not entirely clear that it was spin, since he may have a 'work for
            > hire' contract, meaning he would not have been authorized to release the
            > code even if he had written every line of it.

            From reading the statement on the WASTE site, it sounds like Nullsoft didn't
            want WASTE released. Obviously that's not the case; AOL didn't want WASTE
            released, but just for extra spin they signed Nullsoft's name to that
            statement.

            Wes Felter - wesley@... - http://felter.org/wesley/
          • Dave Winer
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
              Nullsoft and AOL are the same thing.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
                Nullsoft is part of AOL's dot-com hangover. It has no purpose there.