Re: [decentralization] Nullsoft launches WASTE

    Message 1 of 24 , May 30, 2003
      On Fri, 30 May 2003, Clay Shirky wrote:
      > They made a big deal about group security, though I can't quote the claims
      > since the page is gone. Did/do you see any contribution there?

      Nope.

      There's no contribution to group security on the level of abstractions,
      anyway. But on the level of practical usage there's something, because
      this is a really usable implementation of ideas that have been attached to
      packages with low usability.

      Message 2 of 24 , May 31, 2003
        Comments on WASTE after a couple days of continuous use --

        * Always-on out of necessity and practicality. Low resource usage.

        * Connections are established out of band, in email, external IM or IRC.

        * A connection is a high level of trust.

        * Feels like a friendnet, and in fact I've been using it as an extension
        of my existing friendnet. Clusters form slowly and last for a long
        time.

        * There's no need to have your connectivity vetted by jerks at AIM or
        elsewhere. Per Machiavelli and Stallman, once you taste freedom you
        can never go back.

        * Lurking doesn't make sense. Lurkers are the same phenomenon as having
        one guy in a conversation who never says anything.

        Wishlist --

        * A majordomo kind of interface for ad-hoc email lists.

        * Better support for transitive relationships. The way it works right now
        is that a connection gets brokered by a friend, then is managed one to
        one. There needs to be transitive naming, byte passing, file sharing,
        etc.

        - Lucas

        (NB to anybody trying to establish a connection via the information I've
        published: you have to send me your key out of band, and I have to import
        it, before my node admits to seeing yours).

        (NB 2 to anybody else needing a connection -- if I don't know you, I won't
        do it. Sorry).
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 1, 2003
          On Fri, 30 May 2003, Clay Shirky wrote:
          > And whether WASTE provides any alternative to managing social clusters is,
          > in my mind, the interesting open question 9well, that and "Where did the
          > code go, and can we mirror it?")

          The interesting difference is in the tristero analogy. We're all used to
          open communities on the ultramassive WAN of the internet. Pynchon's
          secret postal conspiracy should have slightly different dynamics. Brian's
          point about lurkability as an essential feature would be less applicable
          in groups too small to support it.

          You'd expect, for example, that such groups would be dark matter. They'd
          influence the whole without being directly observable.

          ...need to re-read "The Crying of Lot 49" when there's time.