Re: [decentralization] future p2p applications

  • Daniel Harris
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2003
      Hi All,

      Ye originally asked "are there any opinions/idea as to what the future
      of p2p applications will be?" I can't say how they "will" be 'cos my
      crystal ball's back for a repair job right now - too many defective
      pixels! So, I'm left saying how I *want* these new apps to be...

      Seems to me that p2p apps currently deal with sharing files in the
      main. I want these apps to deal with sharing information, data and
      ideas. I want users (individuals/organisations) to be able to publish
      their profile, requests, offers, opinions and whatever (let's just call
      them 'objects'). I want users to be able to publish these objects in
      their own language. I want users to be able to make
      connections/relationships/links between any of these objects (whether
      their own or not) in the collective pool (such as "A is a direct
      translation of B" - which is an opinion in itself). I want users to be
      able to data-mine the collective pool of these objects via the
      interface of their choice (so, an open protocol and not tied to any
      particular hard/software).

      Simple, eh? I could give loads of examples of stuff I'd like to be able
      to share/data-mine, from the more basic addresses/events to wider
      catalogues of music/movies/products/people/opinions/whatever.

      Well, you did ask!

      Cheers Daniel
    • David Rosenbloom
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2003
        Looks like the whitepaper is passworded?

        - davidr

        http://www.ezmeeting.com

      • cefn.hoile@bt.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2003
          Sorry all, copy pasted the wrong URL. Paper reference should read...

          http://www.cefn.com/cefn/index.php?DietCorePaper

          Cefn

          Looks like the whitepaper is passworded?

          - davidr

          http://www.ezmeeting.com

          On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 cefn.hoile@... wrote:

          > I agree with you, Dou Wen.
          >
          > Different scenarios demand different degrees of centralisation for
          > optimal operation, and it would be interesting to work on systems
          > which managed a graduation between centralisation and decentralisation

          > automatically as the conditions changed.
          >
          > Speaking of the graduation between centralisation and
          > decentralisation, we did some simple experiments in adaptive
          > centralisation in the following paper.
          >
          > http://www.cefn.com/cefn/admin.php?DietCorePaper
          >
          > We used a simple genetic algorithm to control the formation of
          > communities of co-located agents in a fully decentralised peer to peer

          > network. It may be of interest to some.
          >
          > Cefn
          > http://www.cefn.com

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          Message 4 of 11 , May 7, 2003
            Hi there All,

            If your interested in coding p2p apps that deal with exchanging/sharing
            information, data and ideas then please do take a look at:

            http://www.kendra.org.uk/develop.php

            We're hiring!

            Cheers Daniel