Order Info | Madonna (fwd)

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2003
      I just bought the new Madonna single. $1.49, pay with PayPal, get a
      192Kbs unencumbered MP3.

      It would have been a no-brainer, except that dealing with PayPal was too
      much of a hassle for such a tiny transaction. This experience confirmed
      Clay's original point with regard to micropayments that attention is a
      fixed cost, and that the fixed cost of micropayments is to high to support
      this kind of transaction.

      With that said, if the technology was more transparent I wouldn't hesitate
      to do it again. For example, a card swipe in a reader attached to the
      PC.

      - Lucas

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2003
        Interesting. When is something a micropayment and when
        is it just a payment? Is it a subjective value (for
        example relative to how much you earn and keep in the
        bank)?
        To me $1.49 feels like a micropayment but I can't
        figure out why?

        Rikard

        --- Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> skrev: >
        > I just bought the new Madonna single. $1.49, pay
        > with PayPal, get a
        > 192Kbs unencumbered MP3.
        >
        > It would have been a no-brainer, except that dealing
        > with PayPal was too
        > much of a hassle for such a tiny transaction. This
        > experience confirmed
        > Clay's original point with regard to micropayments
        > that attention is a
        > fixed cost, and that the fixed cost of micropayments
        > is to high to support
        > this kind of transaction.

        Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express
        Se mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html
      • Rich Persaud
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2003
          Lucas wrote:
          | It would have been a no-brainer, except that dealing with PayPal was too
          | much of a hassle for such a tiny transaction. This experience confirmed
          | Clay's original point with regard to micropayments that attention is a
          | fixed cost, and that the fixed cost of micropayments is to high to support
          | this kind of transaction.

          We do micropayments every day. It's called the phone company. That's
          why SBC DSL is now Yahoo DSL and why Yahoo's CEO comes from the
          entertainment industry. The telcos could easily settle billing for the record
          industry, but why settle for billing when FOI (failure-on-investment) returns
          have taken out SDSL / G.SHDSL competitors and served up NY/CA on a
          copper-fiber platter? Software (music, film, BCA) is not > hardware (PC,
          consumer elec.), but software+telco is bigger than everyone. If you want
          to compete, innovate in anonymous billing for flash concerts on WiFi mesh.
          Remember that billing is not about accounting, it's about collection, which
          requires physical enforcement or denial of service. Thus, prepaid works.

          Rich

          --
          http://memxy.com
        • Clay Shirky
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2003
            > Lucas wrote:
            > | It would have been a no-brainer, except that dealing with PayPal was too
            > | much of a hassle for such a tiny transaction. This experience confirmed
            > | Clay's original point with regard to micropayments that attention is a
            > | fixed cost, and that the fixed cost of micropayments is to high to support
            > | this kind of transaction.
            >
            > We do micropayments every day. It's called the phone company.

            That's not micropayment, that's microbilling. The payments are monthly and
            macro, and only exist in the context of an account. Micropayment assumes
            that the one-off transaction scales downward beautifully. It does not.

            More to the point, telephony is a lousy model, because the CLECs are a
            monopoly. In situations where there is real competition, providers are
            usually forced to drop "pay as you go" schemes in response to user
            preference, because if they don't, anyone who can offer flat-rate pricing
            becomes the market leader."

            (Quoting myself from "The Case Against Micropayments:
            http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2000/12/19/micropayments.html)

            Note, btw, that in the parts of the telco universe where there is
            competition, e.g. long distance and mobile, there is a move to flat rate
            pricing, as predicted.

            > If you want
            > to compete, innovate in anonymous billing for flash concerts on WiFi mesh.

            Why anonymous? Credit or debit works better.

            > Remember that billing is not about accounting, it's about collection, which
            > requires physical enforcement or denial of service. Thus, prepaid works.

            Prepaid only works when people can't use credit or debit, since people
            prefer just-in-time delivery to pre-pay. Even Starbucks couldn't make
            pre-pay work, and if people prefer credit-linked instruments for buying a
            cup of coffee, it isn't good news for the pre-pay people.

            -clay
          • Alden Hart
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2003
              I was one of the people that designed and built the Cybercash micropayment
              system (Cybercoin). We had no trouble getting the cost of moving the money
              around down to a level that could support $0.25 and below. What tripped us
              up (and everybody else, I think) was the cost of handling a single
              exception. One dispute and the profit from 1000s of good transactions was
              wiped out. Add to that Clay Shirky's "mental transaction cost", and you
              can see why micropayments have been such a tough nut.

              Alden Hart