Re: [decentralization] Invitation to join Friendster from Lucas Gonze

  • brandon@blanu.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
      > interestingly, it seems that besides myself there are a goodly number of
      > people wondering about the etiquette surrounding foaf friend declaration.
      > while it's mostly a social and not technical problem, it's precisely the
      > sort of thing that will keep foaf from reaching any kind of critical mass.

      In the particular case of friendster, which I believe was the original
      source of this thread, my policy for "friendship" is that you request
      to be added to someone's list if you want to get to know their friends
      and you approve a request if you want that person to get to know your
      friends. This is policy is true to the purpose of friendster, which is
      to meet new people through other people you already know.
    • James Nachlin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
        Debi,

        Do you have any links or names on the startups working on the FOAF
        problem, or on how these problems are being solved in the ways that you
        mention?

        Regards,
        Jim Nachlin
        http://www.nachlin.com

        > Lucas,
        > The concept behind FOAF which is contact sharing will, I assure you,
        be a big thing. There are funded startups working on the problem and
        one in particular that I'm aware of who have figured out ways of
        handling some tricky aspects of sharing contacts.
        > 1) They ensure that the person sharing their contacts remains
        the "owner" of those contacts and
        > 2) Relationship strength is calculated but retains edit override by
        the user.
        > 3) A six degrees type path is determined, but a user can only see the
        next hop in the referal chain.
        > If FOAF incorporates the examples from these soon to be released
        applications, it will be big in places where there is great value
        sharing contacts.
        > ...Debi
        > Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> wrote:
        > Two links related to foaf, friendster, and friendnets:

        http://snowdeal.org/section/ex_machina/archives/2003_01_19_index.html#90
        233272
        > interestingly, it seems that besides myself there are a goodly number
        of
        > people wondering about the etiquette surrounding foaf friend
        declaration.
        > while it's mostly a social and not technical problem, it's precisely
        the
        > sort of thing that will keep foaf from reaching any kind of critical
        mass.

        > http://www.perceive.net/schemas/20021119/relationship/
        > relationship
        > A module for defining relationships in FOAF
        > Eric Vitiello Jr.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • James Nachlin
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
          It seems that the etiquette in a scenario such as friendster is quite
          different from that of a friendnet that's used for work or for file
          trading.