Re: [decentralization] Invitation to join Friendster from Lucas Gonze

  • Debi Jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003

      Lucas,

      The concept behind FOAF which is contact sharing will, I assure you, be a big thing.  There are funded startups working on the problem and one in particular that I'm aware of who have figured out ways of handling some tricky aspects of sharing contacts.

      1) They ensure that the person sharing their contacts remains the "owner" of those contacts and

      2) Relationship strength is calculated but retains edit override by the user.

      3) A six degrees type path is determined, but a user can only see the next hop in the referal chain.

      If FOAF incorporates the examples from these soon to be released applications, it will be big in places where there is great value sharing contacts.

      ...Debi

       Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> wrote:

      Two links related to foaf, friendster, and friendnets:

      http://snowdeal.org/section/ex_machina/archives/2003_01_19_index.html#90233272
      interestingly, it seems that besides myself there are a goodly number of
      people wondering about the etiquette surrounding foaf friend declaration.
      while it's mostly a social and not technical problem, it's precisely the
      sort of thing that will keep foaf from reaching any kind of critical mass.

      http://www.perceive.net/schemas/20021119/relationship/
      relationship
      A module for defining relationships in FOAF
      Eric Vitiello Jr.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • brandon@blanu.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
        > interestingly, it seems that besides myself there are a goodly number of
        > people wondering about the etiquette surrounding foaf friend declaration.
        > while it's mostly a social and not technical problem, it's precisely the
        > sort of thing that will keep foaf from reaching any kind of critical mass.

        In the particular case of friendster, which I believe was the original
        source of this thread, my policy for "friendship" is that you request
        to be added to someone's list if you want to get to know their friends
        and you approve a request if you want that person to get to know your
        friends. This is policy is true to the purpose of friendster, which is
        to meet new people through other people you already know.
      • James Nachlin
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
          Debi,

          Do you have any links or names on the startups working on the FOAF
          problem, or on how these problems are being solved in the ways that you
          mention?

          Regards,
          Jim Nachlin
          http://www.nachlin.com

          > Lucas,
          > The concept behind FOAF which is contact sharing will, I assure you,
          be a big thing. There are funded startups working on the problem and
          one in particular that I'm aware of who have figured out ways of
          handling some tricky aspects of sharing contacts.
          > 1) They ensure that the person sharing their contacts remains
          the "owner" of those contacts and
          > 2) Relationship strength is calculated but retains edit override by
          the user.
          > 3) A six degrees type path is determined, but a user can only see the
          next hop in the referal chain.
          > If FOAF incorporates the examples from these soon to be released
          applications, it will be big in places where there is great value
          sharing contacts.
          > ...Debi
          > Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> wrote:
          > Two links related to foaf, friendster, and friendnets:

          http://snowdeal.org/section/ex_machina/archives/2003_01_19_index.html#90
          233272
          > interestingly, it seems that besides myself there are a goodly number
          of
          > people wondering about the etiquette surrounding foaf friend
          declaration.
          > while it's mostly a social and not technical problem, it's precisely
          the
          > sort of thing that will keep foaf from reaching any kind of critical
          mass.

          > http://www.perceive.net/schemas/20021119/relationship/
          > relationship
          > A module for defining relationships in FOAF
          > Eric Vitiello Jr.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • James Nachlin
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
            It seems that the etiquette in a scenario such as friendster is quite
            different from that of a friendnet that's used for work or for file
            trading.