RE: [decentralization] de-centralized data patterns

  • cefn.hoile@bt.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
      Not to forget Citeseer http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs - linked in some way to
      the google search engine I think.

      Cefn

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paolo Massa [mailto:massa@...]

      Eprint.org [...] The key idea is: Authors self-archive their eprints papers
      in
      open-access archives that comply with the Open Archive Initiative (OAI).
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
        Julian Bond wrote:
        > For one of these standards to succeed there does need to be a virtuous
        > circle of publishing, tools, and standard.

        Hm, now that you mention it this strikes me as a nameable thing about the
        pattern.
      • S. Mike Dierken
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
          From: "Julian Bond" <julian_bond@...>

          > 1) Has anyone got a good name for this pattern? Widely distributed,
          > standardised, machine readable data combined with relatively centralized
          > tools and data processors. "de-centralized data pattern" is much too
          > clunky.

          What do you mean by relatively centralized tools?
          Google is an example of widely distributed data and a central
          tool/processor - does that fit the pattern?
          Is another way to put it "distributed data, centralized access"?
          It seems you are getting at more then the storage pattern, but both the
          storage and usage.
          How is it different from aggregation or integration?
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
            S. Mike Dierken <mdierken@...> wrote:
> [...]

            Look at RSS. We've got all of it. We've got everything from very
            de-centralized desktop readers and publishers to very centralized 2nd
            level meta sites and all points in between.

            The key was that it was so simple that anyone could play and get a quick
            win. So they did.

            I think the big difference from html, web servers, browsers, proxies and
            google is that html was always meant to be human readable data while
            RSS, FOAF, SMBData et al are about machine readable metadata. That opens
            up more possibilities for intermediaries.

            The reason I find this interesting is that there's a tension here
            between de-centralizing and centralizing. It forces you to confront
            "Where should the tool be", "Where should the data be", "should I copy
            the data or read it fresh each time" and similar questions, at every
            step.

            One lesson I think we can learn (that didn't actually come from RSS) is
            that including pointers to other instances in the files themselves can
            really help to get initial critical mass. Having every file have seeAlso
            references to other files of the same type makes it much easier to build
            the first spiders.

            --
            Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond@...
            Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
              > One lesson I think we can learn (that didn't actually come from
              RSS) is
              > that including pointers to other instances in the files themselves
              can
              > really help to get initial critical mass. Having every file have
              seeAlso
              > references to other files of the same type makes it much easier to
              build
              > the first spiders.

              This reminds me of the old George Carlin joke, "You can't have
              everything, where would you put it?"

              What's the progress (if any) on getting someting like a freespace://
              protocol handler described? Something that allowed pulling elements
              out of freespace (whichever one is suitable) would really help
              advance it's use.

              -Bill Kearney