Re: [decentralization] authentication

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2002
      > This has been in LimeWire for a while. All users set the same
      > non-standard connect string.

      Except that you can't revoke one person's access without resetting the
      connect string for the entire network.

      What I'm thinking of is a paid gateway to a filesharing node. There is an
      application-level requirement that the specific user account isn't known
      to the server.

      An example solution that's not quite right is a secret sharing threshold
      scheme. There's a file which is split into K chunks, and any of N (where
      N is a constant that's less than K) chunks can be combined to reassemble
      the file. For the challenge, the server would emit a version of the file
      as reassembled with N-1 chunks. The user would add their one chunk,
      pushing the total reassembly up to the threshold, but not allowing the
      server to know which of the missing N-K-1 chunks was used to do it.

      Hm. This is a traditional secret sharing threshold scheme where N happens
      to be 1. That's gibberish, but it's just an example to clarify what I'm
      thinking of.