UDDI goes into OASIS

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 3:03 PM
      Whoa did you see this below? UDDI went inside OASIS this week.

      OASIS itself, has a system for harmonizing/converging the work of
      separate workgroups so that they don't compete or duplicate. It will
      be interesting to see any convergence of ebXML RegRep and UDDI
      registries in OASIS.

      ebXML RegRep is open. UDDI is a commercial project of IBM and
      Microsoft. The UDDI launch in 2000 upset a lot of people in ebXML.
      Two main functions of ebXML Registry:

      Registry : Registry Objects (RO) are metadata for
      Repository Items (RI).
      Repository : storage management of the Repository Items (RI)
      submitted by the business parties.

      There is also a sixth international Open Forum on Metadata Registries
      January 20-24, 2003 in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA.
      http://www.metadata-standards.org/OpenForum2003

      " Participants will explore the capabilities, uses, content, development,
      and operation of registries and related technologies. Emphasis is on
      managing the semantics (meaning) of data that is shared within and
      between organizations or disseminated via the World Wide Web.

      This Open Forum will concentrate on the following technologies: ISO/IEC
      11179 Metadata Registries, Universal Description, Discovery, and
      Integration (UDDI), XML Registries/Repositories, Database Catalogs
      (e.g., relational DBMS/SQL), CASE Tool Repositories, Software Component
      Registries, Terminology and Ontological Registries, and Dublin Core
      Registries."

      The Diffuse website has an invaluable collection including a lot of ISO
      etc. specs not commonly available http://www.diffuse.org/meta.html

      Registries are an enabler of P2P by providing a generalized framework
      for *whatever* metadata, addressing and semantics are desired or
      needed in any given bilateral exchange of information. Both ebXML RegRep
      and UDDI put a lot of attention on replication or federation of registries,
      enabling them to exist in the wild without being captured for rent
      collection or political economic control,

      Registries are also a key enabler for a whole variety of use cases in
      application integration, interoperability and aggregation of accounting
      and ledger data among heterogenous systems, unrelated parties etc.

      TOdd www.gldialtone.com

      To: <uddi-general@yahoogroups.com>, <uddi-technical@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: <uddi-wg@yahoogroups.com>, <uddi-ag@yahoogroups.com>
      From: "Luc Clement" <lclement@...>
      Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:09:49 -0700
      Subject: [uddi-general] UDDI.org transition to OASIS and Invitation to Join
      the OASIS UDDI Open Comment

      Dear Community Members,

      We are pleased to announce that UDDI.org has transitioned its work to
      OASIS, becoming the newest OASIS Member Section. Fulfilling our original
      commitment to submit UDDI to a recognized standards organization, the UDDI
      Standards Transition Committee selected OASIS as the best match. We invite
      you to read the press release
      http://uddi.org/news/uddi_news_07_30_02.html) [...]
    • Mark Baker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2 7:18 AM
        On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 03:03:08PM -0700, Todd Boyle wrote:
        > Whoa did you see this below? UDDI went inside OASIS this week.

        Isn't this off-topic? Registries on a list about decentralization? 8-)

        MB
        Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. distobj@...
        http://www.markbaker.ca http://www.idokorro.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 9:00 AM
          Hey, listen buster :-)

          Usu. there is a dip into a directory or addressing scheme
          or router table someplace... the nice thing about a registry
          is an architecture for managing metadata across more
          layers of the stack.. even if you just run it privately and
          use whatever propagation or replication it has built in,
          within your own reputation scheme instead of just hardwiring
          it to redmond or something.

          Still I acknowledge your point, this is probably like going
          into a whorehouse and preaching the bible :-) And I'm
          not even a developer so, apologies,

          Todd