Re: [decentralization] Groove Networks has released the latest version of their "mediated P2P" decentralized business collaborat

  • Clay Shirky
    Message 1 of 60 , Apr 18 1:18 PM
      > If it's not largely platform neutral, it doesn't exist for me, and
      > certainly doesn't foster decentralization.

      This is wrong, just numerically. It would obviously be better if
      Groove had multiple versions, or ran in Java like LimeWire, but given
      that *hundreds of millions* of people run Windows, you can certainly
      build a Windows-only decentralized app -- an early music file-sharing
      app springs immediately to mind as an example.

      I don't like MSFT's monopoly either, but don't confuse platform-
      neutrality with decentralized patterns of adoption and use.

      -clay
    • Michael Herman
      Message 60 of 60 , Apr 23 4:22 AM
        XML web services aren't limited to calendars and appointments. It's
        just the example they chose to use.

        Michael.