Re: [decentralization] Associative Data Model

  • chris cook
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2002
      Seems to me that this is important work.

      Presumably you guys are already on it.

      http://www.lazysoft.com/associativemodel/default.htm

      Not sure what it does for Oracle though.

      Chris Cook

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2002
        > Seems to me that this is important work.
        >
        > http://www.lazysoft.com/associativemodel/default.htm

        This site and whitepaper were so thickly coated in hype that I needed a
        knife to get through.

        However, in the end it looks like a pretty neat product. This
        "associative model" it talks about is very similar to RDF and RDF
        storage mechanisms. There are no tables, just statements of
        subject-predicate-object associations. So you can easily partition the
        database over multiple machines.

        With Tristero we're implementing an "associative database" on top of
        Berkeley DB which imports and export RDF files and allows for various
        sorts of searching.

        The neat thing about the lazysoft database (called "sentences") is that
        it has a fairly chatty interface language. Some people don't like chatty
        languages, but there seems to be at least some affinity for them (i.e.
        SQL).

        What I'd really like to see is some benchmarks of the sentences db vs. a
        relational db, an associative db implemented on top of a relational db,
        and an associative db implemented on top of a berkeley db (i.e.
        Tristero).
      • bert@akamail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2002
          Whew... that is some serious hype.

          For a more scientific treatment of similar principles, I can recommend
          this work by Agrawal, Somani & Xu:

          http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/485146.html

          Instead of reinventing the wheel from scratch, they show how vertically
          arranged data can be managed and conveniently queried with ordinary
          relational databases.

          Bert