Web Bug Simulator for XML

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2002
      I just wrote a technical document about a new feature we deployed over the
      weekend for Radio 8 users. It's called the Web Bug Simulator, because it
      does for XML what web bugs do for HTML.

      http://www.xmlrpc.com/howTheWebBugSimulatorWorks

      Dave
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2002
        Hi Dave, congrats on your full-page bio in Infoworld! As one of the
        top ten innovators. And written by Jon Udell no less,

        Todd

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2002
          You getting pushback from the paranoid, Dave?

          Any pushback WRT the idea that the hit counter is updated for every
          updated feed that manages to get a notification to the client, regardless
          of whether the client actually ends up reading the update? ...this is
          different from the standard evil email web bug, where it only gets
          invoked if the user reads the email.

          - Lucas

          > I just wrote a technical document about a new feature we deployed over the
          > weekend for Radio 8 users. It's called the Web Bug Simulator, because it
          > does for XML what web bugs do for HTML.
          >
          > http://www.xmlrpc.com/howTheWebBugSimulatorWorks
          >
          > Dave
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2002
            Thanks Todd!

            Dave

            > Hi Dave, congrats on your full-page bio in Infoworld! As one of the
            > top ten innovators. And written by Jon Udell no less,
            >
            > Todd
            >
            > At 11:13 AM 3/4/02, you wrote:
            > >I just wrote a technical document about a new feature we deployed over
            the
            > >weekend for Radio 8 users. It's called the Web Bug Simulator, because it
            > >does for XML what web bugs do for HTML.
            > >
            > >http://www.xmlrpc.com/howTheWebBugSimulatorWorks
            > >
            > >Dave

          • Dave Winer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2002
              No pushback whatsoever.

              The Radio community seems to live and breathe stats and networks of weblogs
              and relationships between the authors.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2002
                Dave wrote:
                > No pushback whatsoever.
                >
                > The Radio community seems to live and breathe stats and networks of weblogs
                > and relationships between the authors.

                Makes sense -- the mass of blogs as a whole act a lot like usenet and
                email discussion groups.

                Similarities:
                * blogscratching (dave reads doc who reads ...) is like poster cliques.
                * personal relationships hold the whole thing up. I don't read BoingBoing
                so much as Cory Doctorow's blog.

                Differences:
                * white list inclusion of people whose postings you read rather than black
                listing (killfile) exclusion of people whose postings you don't want to
                read.
                * completely decentralized structure.
                * topography formed by linking rather than quoting or replying.