Re: [decentralization] Re: The Ultimate P2P Platform?

  • James Hong
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2001
      only if you're willing to pay out of pocket for those technologies.

      cheers,
      james

      ----
      XMethods web service listings - http://www.xmethods.net

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
        At the last company I was at I had developed a technology (it wasn't p2p based, it was server based) that not only would change the advertising but would also change the content (actually the flow) based on what articles you read and what ads you clicked on.

        The idea was to have something like an "outdoor sports magazine" in which you would see articles and ads of things you were interested in, and be able to ignore all the others. I started with PDF and Acrobat since it has a lot of functions that would allow me to do it. Unfortunately the concept never caught on with the powers-that-be.

        Chuck Wegrzyn

        Imagine a "newspaper" where the advertising and the local resource directory changes based on your location. Now your "smart yellow pages" are truly smart! Are you thinking ubiquitous computing?

        Regards,
        Brad
        -
         "Millions of Offers at Your Fingertips" (sm)
         (949) 716-7580 x202 Office
         (949) 433-0577 Cellular
         (603) 807-5877 eFax

      • wkearney99
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
          --- In decentralization@y..., "C Wegrzyn" <wegrzyn@g...> wrote:
          > At the last company I was at I had developed a technology (it
          wasn't p2p based, it was server based) that not only would change the
          advertising but would also change the content (actually the flow)
          based on what articles you read and what ads you clicked on.

          > The idea was to have something like an "outdoor sports magazine" in
          which you would see articles and ads of things you were interested
          in, and be able to ignore all the others. I started with PDF and
          Acrobat since it has a lot of functions that would allow me to do it.
          Unfortunately the concept never caught on with the powers-that-be.

          As perhaps it shouldn't have. One of the principal concepts in
          advertising is brand building. You'd never have a way to insert new
          ideas if the advertising didn't allow for the introduction of new,
          perhaps unrelated, materials. Sure, they're annoying 80% of the time
          but it's that 20% that makes the difference.

          But something that adjusted itself using your past consumption as an
          assitive technique would be interesting.

          -Bill Kearney
        • Jonathan Berry
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
            I remember the e-Ink thing under dev a couple of years ago. Two sooner
            "emerging" technologies are Go2-style addresses on mobile devices for
            ubiquitous advertising/location of products and, though statically, AOL
            everywhere (gas pumps, grocery lines).

            Regards,

            Jonathan C. Berry
            IT Consultant/Communication Researcher
            619.347.1642 (m)
            jcharlesberry@... (m)
            ONLINE PORTFOLIO TEMP LOCATION:
            http://home1.gte.net/res0c2am/index.htm

            >Imagine a "newspaper" where the advertising and the local resource
            >directory
            >changes based on your location. Now your "smart yellow pages" are truly
            >smart! Are you thinking ubiquitous computing?
            >
            >Regards,
            >Brad
            >-
            > "Millions of Offers at Your Fingertips" (sm)
            > brad.codd@...
            > www.ChipSurfer.com
            > (949) 716-7580 x202 Office
            > (949) 433-0577 Cellular
            > (603) 807-5877 eFax

          • Jonathan Berry
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
              Personalisation. Serves up content on profiling clicks. The more you click,
              the more you are identified.