Re: The Ultimate P2P Platform?

  • wkearney99
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2001
      > Imagine a "newspaper" where the advertising and the local resource
      > directory changes based on your location. Now your "smart yellow
      > pages" are truly smart! Are you thinking ubiquitous computing?

      Better yet, imagine technology developing without succumbing to
      advertising.
    • James Hong
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2001
        only if you're willing to pay out of pocket for those technologies.

        cheers,
        james

        ----
        XMethods web service listings - http://www.xmethods.net

        > > Imagine a "newspaper" where the advertising and the local resource
        > > directory changes based on your location. Now your "smart yellow
        > > pages" are truly smart! Are you thinking ubiquitous computing?
        >
        > Better yet, imagine technology developing without succumbing to
        > advertising.

      • C Wegrzyn
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
          At the last company I was at I had developed a technology (it wasn't p2p based, it was server based) that not only would change the advertising but would also change the content (actually the flow) based on what articles you read and what ads you clicked on.

          The idea was to have something like an "outdoor sports magazine" in which you would see articles and ads of things you were interested in, and be able to ignore all the others. I started with PDF and Acrobat since it has a lot of functions that would allow me to do it. Unfortunately the concept never caught on with the powers-that-be.

          Chuck Wegrzyn

          Imagine a "newspaper" where the advertising and the local resource directory changes based on your location. Now your "smart yellow pages" are truly smart! Are you thinking ubiquitous computing?

          Regards,
          Brad
          -
           "Millions of Offers at Your Fingertips" (sm)
           (949) 716-7580 x202 Office
           (949) 433-0577 Cellular
           (603) 807-5877 eFax

        • wkearney99
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
            --- In decentralization@y..., "C Wegrzyn" <wegrzyn@g...> wrote:
            > At the last company I was at I had developed a technology (it
            wasn't p2p based, it was server based) that not only would change the
            advertising but would also change the content (actually the flow)
            based on what articles you read and what ads you clicked on.

            > The idea was to have something like an "outdoor sports magazine" in
            which you would see articles and ads of things you were interested
            in, and be able to ignore all the others. I started with PDF and
            Acrobat since it has a lot of functions that would allow me to do it.
            Unfortunately the concept never caught on with the powers-that-be.

            As perhaps it shouldn't have. One of the principal concepts in
            advertising is brand building. You'd never have a way to insert new
            ideas if the advertising didn't allow for the introduction of new,
            perhaps unrelated, materials. Sure, they're annoying 80% of the time
            but it's that 20% that makes the difference.

            But something that adjusted itself using your past consumption as an
            assitive technique would be interesting.

            -Bill Kearney
          • Jonathan Berry
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
              I remember the e-Ink thing under dev a couple of years ago. Two sooner
              "emerging" technologies are Go2-style addresses on mobile devices for
              ubiquitous advertising/location of products and, though statically, AOL
              everywhere (gas pumps, grocery lines).

              Regards,

              Jonathan C. Berry
              IT Consultant/Communication Researcher
              619.347.1642 (m)
              jcharlesberry@... (m)
              ONLINE PORTFOLIO TEMP LOCATION:
              http://home1.gte.net/res0c2am/index.htm

              >Imagine a "newspaper" where the advertising and the local resource
              >directory
              >changes based on your location. Now your "smart yellow pages" are truly
              >smart! Are you thinking ubiquitous computing?
              >
              >Regards,
              >Brad
              >-
              > "Millions of Offers at Your Fingertips" (sm)
              > brad.codd@...
              > www.ChipSurfer.com
              > (949) 716-7580 x202 Office
              > (949) 433-0577 Cellular
              > (603) 807-5877 eFax

            • Jonathan Berry
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
                Personalisation. Serves up content on profiling clicks. The more you click,
                the more you are identified.