Re: [decentralization] Re: terminology

  • pointer oblio
    Message 1 of 78 , Oct 1, 2000
      > I like the general usage of "peer" which implies equality, and by
      > extension the idea that all peers in a network should have the same
      > capabilities.

      i wonder though if all network participants [ terminologically agnostic
      ] do have the same capabilities ? my impression is that a decentralized
      architecture allows the proliferation of hetergeneous devices . but
      through interoperability , transactions / cooperation , RMI they might
      achieve a similar capability -- perhaps the composite , synergistic
      capability of the network . the router example is a good case for this
      .

      > There are two different concepts that are important to
      > decentralization which I feel could get confused. The first is that
      > of a machine, or independent computing entity. Machine does not even

      > not cover is the issue of trust. "Peer" in the sense of "Peer-to-
      > Peer" in something like Windows, for example, means that the "owner"

      a distinction is definitely in order , as "independent computing
      entities" will most likely be acting as agents to a human principal .
      then again , the *capability* and behavior of the network device is
      dependent upon human software engineering and user preferences . so
      necessarily , a machine may have its own trust level .

      consider as an example a public terminal , which hosts a giant number
      of users . its network activities are inherently more suspect than a
      terminal in a private network .

      it seems that scoping is a significant factor in determining accurate
      terminology .

      brian .

      =====
      .
      {: }

      .. the mux space conglomerate ..
      " manifest thought through reality "

      www . mux space . nu

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Clay Shirky
      Message 78 of 78 , Nov 26, 2000
        > It's also very confusing to older programmers, becasue TCP/IP is
        > already p2p... so who made up this term anyway?

        Like naming a certain type of post-war American painting "Abstract
        Expressionism" (instead of "The American School" or "American Action
        Painting" or any of the other proposed names), P2P is just the name
        that happened to stick as people wanted a way to describe what was
        already happening. Don't get too hung up on trying to interpret
        it literally.

        --
        Clay Shirky | Essays on the Internet:
        http://www.shirky.com/writings/what_is_p2p.html | What is P2P?