Groove centralizes

  • Scott Hodson
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
      http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO65038,00.html

      I don't think corporations like having content strewn out across all
      of their user's PCs and is used to having things centralized where
      they can control and monitor them.

      Does this hurt the viability of decentralized systems in the
      corporate landscape?
    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
        Very interesting story.

        Centralization is valid as are decentralized networks.

        This little workgroup we have is both centralized and decentralized, if you
        pick it up from different corners.

        It's centralized in that we're all using a central server to route messages
        between participants.

        It's decentralized in that you and I work for different companies, and you
        can't see everything on my hard drive (I hope!) only what I choose to share
        with you.

        If we worked at the same company this might not apply.

        What I would conclude from this story follows:

        1. Groove has decided to stop trying to go in through the back door.

        2. To get a Groove network going the IT people participate in the
        implementation, even drive the implementation.

        Dave

        > Does this hurt the viability of decentralized systems in the
        > corporate landscape?

      • Michael Herman (Parallelspace)
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
          Before this spins out of control, the title of this article is
          misleading.

          Nothing has changed in the Groove mediated P2P platform architecture.
          This article is the result of some new PR around the beta availability
          of 3 Groove enterprise server products that announced previously:

          * Groove Enterprise Integration Server, formally know as the "bot
          server" - beta now
          * Groove Relay Server, allowing enterprises to host internally - beta
          now
          * Groove Enterprise Management Server, related the Enterprise Network
          Services offering and including LDAP integration with corporate
          directory services - beta January 2002

          Checkout http://www.groove.net/about/press/releases/2001_servers.html.

          Cheers,
          Michael Herman
          CTO, Parallelspace Corporation
          http://www.parallelspace.net/groove

          I don't think corporations like having content strewn out across all
          of their user's PCs and is used to having things centralized where
          they can control and monitor them.

          Does this hurt the viability of decentralized systems in the
          corporate landscape?

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Hugh Pyle
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001

            > I don't think corporations like having content strewn out across all of their user's PCs

            Groove's central services don't manage content.  The content is at the edges, where people need it.

            The relay and the "bot server" manage connectivity.
            Of course there's usually plenty of connectivity at the edges (peer, to peer).  Unless you have a firewall between the users.  In which case,
            - the relay service does "device presence" and message-queue store-and-forward connectivity between peer devices;  you might want one in your DMZ to make the most effective connections to the outside world.
            - the enterprise integration server gives you a single (ie. manageable) place to put connectivity between systems;  you probably want some integration (eg. to Palm) at the edge, but other (eg. to SAP) in the center.

            Last piece is the management service, whcih gives you a single place to set policies & monitor resources, licenses, usage etc.

            Hugh
          • Michael Herman (Parallelspace)
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
              Message
              There is a concept developing that I'm tempted to refer to as "edge-based servers" or "near-edge servers" that is different from traditional P2P clients that perform local storage and computation in a P2P network context.

              This is based on recent discussions about the photo web site example, P2P document management, etc. where decentralized technologies can be used to create an new distributed file system environment that logically appears to run very near the edge of the network but "just behind" my P2P client.  Of course, this logical view doesn't preclude the physical possibility that subsets of the content may actually live on my personal machine.

              That is, I find it useful to think of my machine as both a P2P client and as a differentiated near-edge server.

              Cheers,
              Michael Herman
              CTO, Parallelspace Corporation

              > I don't think corporations like having content strewn out across all of their user's PCs

              Groove's central services don't manage content.  The content is at the edges, where people need it.

              The relay and the "bot server" manage connectivity.
              Of course there's usually plenty of connectivity at the edges (peer, to peer).  Unless you have a firewall between the users.  In which case,
              - the relay service does "device presence" and message-queue store-and-forward connectivity between peer devices;  you might want one in your DMZ to make the most effective connections to the outside world.
              - the enterprise integration server gives you a single (ie. manageable) place to put connectivity between systems;  you probably want some integration (eg. to Palm) at the edge, but other (eg. to SAP) in the center.

              Last piece is the management service, whcih gives you a single place to set policies & monitor resources, licenses, usage etc.

              Hugh

            • Tony Kimball
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                Quoth Scott Hodson on Thursday, 1 November:
                : http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO65038,00.html
                :
                : I don't think corporations like having content strewn out across all
                : of their user's PCs and is used to having things centralized where
                : they can control and monitor them.
                :
                : Does this hurt the viability of decentralized systems in the
                : corporate landscape?

                No, it improves the viability. Users do in fact have content strewn
                about the network -- not only content, but other valuable resources as
                well, such as devices, metadata, bandwidth, etc., Decentralized
                systems can harness that content, and make it usable as an enterprise
                resource, thus creating new managable asset.
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                  At 09:31 AM 11/1/01, Tony Kimball wrote to Scott,
                  >: http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO65038,00.html
                  >:
                  >: I don't think corporations like having content strewn out across all
                  >: of their user's PCs and is used to having things centralized where
                  >: they can control and monitor them.
                  >:
                  >: Does this hurt the viability of decentralized systems in the
                  >: corporate landscape?
                  >
                  >No, it improves the viability. Users do in fact have content strewn
                  >about the network -- not only content, but other valuable resources as
                  >well, such as devices, metadata, bandwidth, etc., Decentralized
                  >systems can harness that content, and make it usable as an enterprise
                  >resource, thus creating new managable asset.

                  Corporations are command and control systems, of a type that
                  have been thoroughly and completely rejected by the populations
                  of every country on earth by now. Governments such as the soviet
                  union were spectacular failures.

                  Why do corporations work completely differently from the way open
                  marketplaces function, within democratic society?

                  When developers understand the answer to this question,
                  they will be more likely to write P2P software instead of
                  ever-more-powerful command and control systems.

                  Corporations operate completely differently from civil society, to
                  achieve greater logistical efficiency, reliability and information
                  dissemination by controlling the behaviors of members, all
                  that stuff -- we have networks and computers and collaboration
                  software for these things today. Let's use them, to compete
                  as freemen instead of slaves. Freemen are always more
                  efficient than command systems. We'll make good money.

                  Todd

                  ...types of decentralization, these are independent dimensions:

                  - the data,
                  - pointers and indexes to the data,
                  - other metadata i.e. useful metadata like document schemas,
                  - the encryption keys and certificates,
                  - routes taken by data content across networks (P2P variations),
                  - routes taken by the pointing, indexing, metadata information,
                  - incentive topology ($ Corp, $hierarchic/MLM, $peer, mojo, volunteer...)
                  - capital structure (pooled/central, decentralized, or hierarch. steps)
                  - political and social rulemaking topology /hierarchy,
                  - actual technical control (actual sovereignty)
                  - content creation (added by Mitra)
                • Halim Cho
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                    --- Todd Boyle <tboyle@...> wrote:
                    > Corporations are command and control systems, of a
                    > type that
                    > have been thoroughly and completely rejected by the
                    > populations
                    > of every country on earth by now. Governments such
                    > as the soviet
                    > union were spectacular failures.
                    >
                    > Why do corporations work completely differently from
                    > the way open
                    > marketplaces function, within democratic society?
                    >
                    > When developers understand the answer to this
                    > question,
                    > they will be more likely to write P2P software
                    > instead of
                    > ever-more-powerful command and control systems.

                    Two words: legal liability

                    corporations work under the onus of being liable for
                    what "freemen" do with "their" systems, so they cover
                    their legal liability by setting up controlled
                    systems.

                    =====
                    Halim Cho
                    "Computers are a lot like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy."

                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                      per Todd:
                      > > Why do corporations work completely differently from
                      > > the way open
                      > > marketplaces function, within democratic society?

                      One reason why technical decentralization fits Internet scale is that social
                      structures at that scale are also decentralized. At smaller scales it should be
                      possible for software to follow, rather than dictate, social structures. In a
                      family, for example, software should enable parents to have the same online
                      relationship with their children as they do offline.

                      Culturally, corporations aren't open marketplaces. There is a fair amount of
                      internal competition, even to the degree that the corporation's interests are
                      sacrificed to individual employees' interests, but that doesn't make it a full
                      agora. Seems to me that experts on corporate culture would have useful comments
                      on exactly what are the social structures that modern software should be
                      enabling.

                      - Lucas
                    • Rikard Linde
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                        --- Lucas Gonze <lucas@...> wrote:
                        > Culturally, corporations aren't open marketplaces.
                        > There is a fair amount of
                        > internal competition, even to the degree that the
                        > corporation's interests are
                        > sacrificed to individual employees' interests, but
                        > that doesn't make it a full
                        > agora. Seems to me that experts on corporate
                        > culture would have useful comments
                        > on exactly what are the social structures that
                        > modern software should be
                        > enabling.

                        Indeed. Or disabling.

                        Rikard

                        Find a job, post your resume.
                        http://careers.yahoo.com
                      • cefn.hoile@bt.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                          From Todd: "Why do corporations work completely differently from the
                          way open marketplaces function, within democratic society?"

                          There is some interesting commentary in this area in the book 'The economic
                          nature of the firm' (Louis Putterman ed.). The question is asked, why is the
                          market/resource-constrained dynamic not used _within_ firms as a means of
                          control? In other words, why are firms using command and control everywhere
                          we look, and why are they not displaced by firms using market dynamics
                          internally if its so efficient?

                          Sadly I can't find my copy right now, otherwise I could give you some chunks
                          from it.

                          Anyway, the reference is available from...

                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521556287/o/qid=1004695081/sr=8-1/
                          ref=sr_aps_b_1_1/202-7499022-5179008

                        • Jason L. Asbahr
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                            Interesting point. I think open source organizations do operate
                            more in the marketplace mode, and in some cases, do show increased
                            operational efficiency. (Please note, I'm not talking about your
                            average group of 15 year olds writing yet another unfinished version
                            of AIM, I'm talking about those collaborative efforts that continue
                            to produce high quality software over the span of years, Python, Perl,
                            the Linux kernel group, and Apache as the highest profile examples.)

                            Another example is the "chaordic" model of organization, which
                            was the model used by Visa and some claim the reason for its rapid
                            worldwide growth. Dee Hock has a couple of books out about this
                            concept, one of the more recent (and apparently lighter ones):

                            Birth of the Chaordic Age
                            by Dee W. Hock
                            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576750744/learningorg

                            "He looks critically at today's environment of command-and-control
                            institutions and sees organizations that are falling apart, failing
                            to achieve their own purposes let alone addressing the diversity and
                            complexity of society as a whole. The solution, Hock claims, lies in
                            transforming our notion of organization; in embracing the belief that
                            the chaos of competition and the order of cooperation can and do coexist,
                            succeed, even thrive; and in welcoming in the chaordic age."

                            Cheers,

                            Jason

                            way open marketplaces function, within democratic society?"

                            There is some interesting commentary in this area in the book 'The economic
                            nature of the firm' (Louis Putterman ed.). The question is asked, why is the
                            market/resource-constrained dynamic not used _within_ firms as a means of
                            control? In other words, why are firms using command and control everywhere
                            we look, and why are they not displaced by firms using market dynamics
                            internally if its so efficient?

                            Sadly I can't find my copy right now, otherwise I could give you some chunks
                            from it.

                            Anyway, the reference is available from...

                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521556287/o/qid=1004695081/sr=8-1/
                            ref=sr_aps_b_1_1/202-7499022-5179008

                          • John D. Mitchell
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                              [...]
                              > Corporations are command and control systems, of a type that have been
                              > thoroughly and completely rejected by the populations of every country on
                              > earth by now. Governments such as the soviet union were spectacular
                              > failures.

                              > Why do corporations work completely differently from the way open
                              > marketplaces function, within democratic society?

                              > When developers understand the answer to this question, they will be more
                              > likely to write P2P software instead of ever-more-powerful command and
                              > control systems.

                              > Corporations operate completely differently from civil society, to
                              > achieve greater logistical efficiency, reliability and information
                              > dissemination by controlling the behaviors of members, all that stuff --
                              > we have networks and computers and collaboration software for these
                              > things today. Let's use them, to compete as freemen instead of slaves.
                              > Freemen are always more efficient than command systems. We'll make good
                              > money.

                              Methinks that you're missing the historical, corporate evolution factor
                              here. Historically, C&C has worked exceptionally well for the types of
                              corporations that existed and the context in which they operated. The
                              critical decision making in those corporations fit because the workers were
                              predominantly just cogs in a operational-execution-efficiency-maximizing
                              Taylor-ite machine.

                              For examples, both Rockefeller and Ford quite sanely created and exploited
                              those efficiencies in their creation of completely vertically-integrated
                              organizations.

                              That sort of Taylor-istic perspective is increasingly marginalized/subsumed
                              (but not eliminated!) in proportion to the shift in importance of
                              informational and, more critically, decision-making
                              distribution/decentralization through organizations.

                              Corporations are (slowly) adapting to this. I find it fascinating how the
                              entire Supply-Chain Management (SCM) world has been created to reintegrate
                              what was (sometimes forcibly) dis-integrated not all that long ago.

                              W.r.t. the free-persons vs slaves shme, a couple of points...

                              Most people have (to varying degrees) a strong desire/need for "stability"
                              (of all sorts). Markets are, by nature, volatile. Corporate jobs (and
                              government sinecure, sigh), for many people, usually provide a sufficient
                              amount of stability. I.e., they are making a decision to tradeoff some
                              amount of "slavery" in return for that stability.

                              [The scariest thing about the 9/11 stuff is the headlong rush that so many
                              are in to give up all of our constitutional liberties in the futile attempt
                              to restore some (predominantly emotional) sense of (pseudo-)security.]

                              Markets are not (always/usually) symmetrical. Check out the latest batch
                              of Nobel prize winners in economics for various takes on the asymmetry of
                              markets. Also, think about monopolistic power such as MS's and how that
                              creates a distorted/asymmetrical market.

                              [A problem with the US legal system is that, even worse then generals
                              always trying to fight the previous war, the legal system is so completely
                              built-upon precedent that they often calcify a specific response to a
                              specifc problem within a specific context into general law. Think about
                              patterns and refactoring.]

                              Combine those two with various illogical/non-rational ways that most people
                              actually make decisions and you end up being able to explain many of the
                              so-called paradoxes of classical economics. One of those Nobel guys
                              examined used-cars markets. Personally, I find the whole fad of
                              reverse-auction markets even more telling (at least w.r.t. us geeks :-).

                              Take care,
                              John
                            • cefn.hoile@bt.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 6, 2001
                                Thanks, Jason. I will make the effort to look at this book. It sounds right
                                up my street.

                                Another interesting case of the emergence of Market economies from within
                                strict command and control structures exists in Eastern Europe....

                                "The countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union had a decidedly
                                non-emergent, non-self-organized dictatorial socialism imposed upon them,
                                first in 1917 and then in 1945. Starting in the early 1990s, they again were
                                forced into a new form of social organization, what David Stark called a
                                "designer capitalism". Neither form of utopian social engineering met with
                                success. It is scarcely an exaggeration to say that to the extent that any
                                part of these economies works, it was not consciously designed, either by
                                the apparatchiks of Gosplan (the Soviet Planning Commission) or by the
                                professors from Harvard or other western institutions, but grew without
                                anyone really guiding it or realizing what they were doing."

                                From...

                                http://www.santafe.edu/sfi/publications/Bulletins/bulletin-winter99/emergenc
                                e2.html

                                way open marketplaces function, within democratic society?"

                                There is some interesting commentary in this area in the book 'The economic
                                nature of the firm' (Louis Putterman ed.). The question is asked, why is the
                                market/resource-constrained dynamic not used _within_ firms as a means of
                                control? In other words, why are firms using command and control everywhere
                                we look, and why are they not displaced by firms using market dynamics
                                internally if its so efficient?

                                Sadly I can't find my copy right now, otherwise I could give you some chunks
                                from it.

                                Anyway, the reference is available from...

                                http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521556287/o/qid=1004695081/sr=8-1/
                                ref=sr_aps_b_1_1/202-7499022-5179008

                              • Sampo Syreeni
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 6, 2001
                                  On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Todd Boyle wrote:

                                  >Why do corporations work completely differently from the way open
                                  >marketplaces function, within democratic society?

                                  I'd say because freedom only works as long as the collective good
                                  coincides with what is best for each individual separately. When this is
                                  not the case, we speak about a tragedy of the commons. When it arises, it
                                  is usually solved via ownership. My theory is that this is what
                                  corporations are (or should be) about: they solve some particular instance
                                  of the tragedy of the commons on the marketplace, and so cannot function
                                  based on competition alone. Of course, competition and market based
                                  optimization are a valuable asset, too, which is why companies use
                                  internal billing, subcontractors and commonly externalize functions which
                                  are not part of the company's core operating area.

                                  But the core, that is under hierarchical control for a very simple reason:
                                  operating it in an autocratic fashion makes it possible to derive extra
                                  value from the market by optimizing across what would otherwise be a
                                  number of competing, uncooperative entities. Sometimes the ownership
                                  structure and the coercion it brings about is simply unavoidable if we
                                  wish cooperation.

                                  >When developers understand the answer to this question, they will be
                                  >more likely to write P2P software instead of ever-more-powerful command
                                  >and control systems.

                                  I'm not quite sure the reasoning behind corporate structures should be
                                  extended to software. After all, economics and money are about dealing
                                  with scarcity, and that has very little to do with P2P.

                                  I think just about the only relevant aspect, here, is that in P2P, the
                                  incentive to cooperate comes naturally in the form of network effects. We
                                  perhaps shouldn't try to supress it by competing in specific architectures
                                  or protocols, but document protocols openly and let people embrace and
                                  extend freely. It's quite likely that the best architecture would be left
                                  floating, in the end.

                                  Maybe we just shouldn't try to operate the P2P industry by the usual rules
                                  of the market, but instead put the market where it belongs, where there is
                                  scarcity. In the software industry, that is likely service, not technology
                                  itself.

                                  Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@..., tel:+358-50-5756111