Re: [decentralization] Digest Number 440

  • dylan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30 9:36 AM
          What about when someone new joins a list? Are they low priority compared to the people you already know.What if someone had bad reputation, but all the sudden starts posting great stuff, how will it been seen enough to start bringing him back in the loop?

          Maybe a few random samples from the parts of a group that you normaly ignore, so you at least get a few glimpses at the rest of the picture, when you can't see all of it at once. The bankers gotta walk past a few paupers on the street if he wants to not live in a box.

          BTW, everyone, I'm Dylan a UCSC student interested in decentralized systems, nice to meet you all. Hope I have time to keep up with this lists volume =)

          - dylan

      You could accompish the same goals with a reputation network.  IE only view
      articles that are highly rated by people you trust.  Build a connected graph
      with semi-transitive trust, and compute flows from source -> target.

      Funny that I just happen to be working on such a thing :).

      Hopefully we will have public docs in a month or so.

      Kevin

    • chris cook
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31 1:56 AM
        Surely time is of the essence here. A good reputation should really be kept
        up to date with further good stuff.

        Because even the best guru's can completely miss the point of a new
        generation of thinking.

        And a bad rep could effectively have a built in time decay, so that a new
        post after a period in purdah is treated as though the poster has been
        rehabilitated.

        If he craps out again, then maybe you extend the time-out for his next
        attempt.

        Chris Cook