Call for Presentations: CodeCon 2002

  • Bram Cohen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2001
      CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS: CODECON 2002
      http://www.codecon.org/

      Please forward wherever applicable.

      CodeCon 2002, scheduled for February 15, 16, and 17 in San Francisco,
      California, is the premier event in 2002 for the P2P, cypherpunk, and
      network/security application developer community. It is a workshop for
      developers of real-world applications that support individual liberties.

      During the first two days, our policy is "bring your own code"; while
      those not demonstrating software are welcome to attend, the focus is
      primarily on developer discussion. The final day of the workshop is
      intended to be more inclusive, consisting of public and press
      demonstrations, interviews, panels and a public session allowing a larger
      number of presenters to demonstrate their projects in a more informal
      setting. All presentations must be accompanied by functional applications,
      ideally open source. Presenters must be one of the active developers of
      the code in question.

      CodeCon strongly encourages presenters from non-commercial and academic
      backgrounds to attend for the purposes of collaboration and the sharing of
      knowledge by providing free registration to workshop presenters and
      highly-discounted registration to full-time students. Public session
      presenters and approved members of the press will receive free
      registration for the public session on Sunday.

      IMPORTANT DATES

      Submissions open: 1 October 2001
      Final submission deadline: 1 January 2002
      Final notification of acceptance: 15 January 2002
      Conference begins: 15 February 2002
      Public session and public demonstrations: 17 February 2002
      Post-conference web-based proceedings: 15 March 2002

      SUGGESTED TOPICS

      The focus of CodeCon is on running applications which:

      * use one or more of: cryptography, steganography, distributed
      network architectures, peer to peer communications, anonymity
      or pseudonymity

      * enhance individual power and liberty

      * can be discussed freely, either by virtue of being open source or
      having a published protocol, and preferably free of intellectual
      property restrictions

      * are generally useful, either directly to a large number of users, or
      as an example of technology applicable to a larger audience

      Examples of excellent presentations include Mixmaster remailers and
      extensions, OpenNap, Swarmcast, Mojo Nation, Magic Money, and OpenPGP
      applications. Novelty in technical approaches, security assumptions, and
      end-user functionality are excellent properties.

      Presentations about basic technologies, such as a new cipher or hash,
      non-interesting vulnerabilities in existing applications, or discussions
      of unimplemented protocols are better suited for other conferences. The
      guidelines for the CodeCon public session on Sunday are less stringent
      than the main workshop; presentations which are more tangential to
      CodeCon's focus may be accepted.

      FORMAT OF PRESENTATIONS (main workshop)

      Paper and Q&A
      -------------
      For those most comfortable with a traditional conference format, we will
      accept papers up to 25 pages. We encourage HTML or plain ASCII
      submissions, but can accept PostScript, PDF, or LaTeX. We will distribute
      papers in advance of the conference, and will provide 30 or 60 minutes for
      discussion and Q&A, at the presenter's discretion. In exceptional cases,
      we will accept anonymous papers and conduct either a non-directed
      discussion or a Q&A session directed by proxy. All papers should be
      accompanied by source code or an application. When possible, we would
      prefer that the application be available for interactive use during the
      workshop, either on a presenter-provided demonstration machine or one of
      the conference kiosks. Additionally, during the paper presentation, some
      use of this demo must be made; it may be relatively brief, but a
      demonstration of the running application is essential.

      Interactive demo
      ----------------
      In addition to the traditional conference paper format, we encourage
      highly interactive presentations. Throughout the event, we will have
      several kiosks and local servers available for demonstration purposes. We
      also strongly encourage presenters to bring their own hardware.
      Application demos can be up to 20 minutes, followed by a period of up to
      40 minutes for Q&A, which can include demonstration of additional features
      of the application not covered in the main presentation. If desired by the
      presenter, we can distribute URLs of applications several days before the
      workshop to allow attendees to familiarize themselves with the basics of
      applications prior to the workshop sessions.

      Panel
      -----
      In areas where multiple projects fall roughly in the same domain, the most
      efficient presentation may be a panel with one or more developers from
      each team. These developers may then individually demonstrate their
      applications, followed by discussion among the panel and Q&A with the
      other attendees as to differences in design goals, implementation, and
      other aspects of the systems. If we receive multiple submissions from
      related projects for papers or demos, we may suggest to the presenters
      that they combine into a panel. Additionally, presenters are free to
      submit jointly as a pre-selected panel.

      There is some flexibility in requirements and formats for presentations;
      please enquire if you would like to use an alternate form.

      FORMAT OF PRESENTATIONS (public session)

      On the afternoon of Sunday 17 February, we will set aside a substantial
      amount of time for 5 minute-or-less project public session presentations.
      Other events on this day, including panels and main presentations, will be
      targeted at members of the press and public, so brief presentations on
      Sunday will reach a wide audience. Presenters from the first two days who
      wish to make an additional public session presentation may do so.

      SUBMISSION DETAILS

      Presentations must be performed by one of the active developers on the
      project. That's the rule -- no code, no mike. Multiple people may be
      involved in a presentation. You do get in free if you're part of a
      presentation even if you don't speak during it, so creativity (within
      reason) is encouraged.

      The workshop language is English, for both presentations and papers.

      Ideally, demonstrations should be usable by attendees with 802.11b
      connected devices either via a web interface, or locally on Windows,
      UNIX-like, or MacOS platforms. Cross-platform applications are most
      desirable.

      Our venue may be 21+. If you are submitting and are under 21, please
      advise the program committee; we may consider alternate venues for one or
      more days of the event. If you have a specific day on which you would
      prefer to present, please advise us.

      Main workshop submissions should include in the plain-text body of email
      to submissions@... the following information:

      - Name of presenter
      - Name of others involved in project attending conference
      - Title of presentation
      - Brief summary of topic
      - URL or attachment of example code
      (must be received by the final submission deadline)
      - Brief project history
      - Brief summary of demo, or abstract of paper
      - Any other details considered relevant

      Public session submissions should include in the plain-text body of email
      to submissions@... the following information:

      - Name of presenter
      - Title of presentation
      - Brief summary of topic
      - URL or attachment with example code
      - Any other details

      PROGRAM COMMITTEE

      Bram Cohen, BitTorrent
      Dan Egnor, ofb.net
      Jered Floyd, Permabit
      Ian Grigg, Systemics
      Ryan Lackey, HavenCo
      Don Marti, LinuxJournal
      Guido Sanchez, New Hack City
      Bill Stewart, AT&T
      Brandon Wiley, Freenet
      Jamie Zawinski, DNA Lounge

      COSTS

      Recognizing that many of the developers of the most interesting cypherpunk
      applications are unable to afford accommodations and other expenses in San
      Francisco, CodeCon will attempt to locate housing and otherwise assist
      with issues for presenters on a case-by-case basis. Please contact
      codecon-admin@... if your submission is accepted but you require
      assistance to attend.

      SPONSORSHIP

      If your organization is interested in sponsoring CodeCon, we would love to
      hear from you. In particular, we are looking for sponsors for social meals
      and parties on any of the three days of the conference, as well as
      sponsors of the conference as a whole, prizes or awards for quality
      presentations, and assistance with transportation or accommodation for
      presenters with limited resources. If you might be interested in
      sponsoring any of these aspects, please contact the conference organizers
      at codecon-admin@....

      QUESTIONS

      If you have questions about CodeCon, or would like to contact the
      organizers, please mail codecon-admin@.... Please note this
      address is only for questions and administrative requests, and not for
      workshop presentation submissions.