OT: Re: Donating cycles to LE

  • Bill Kearney
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2001
      > I regard them both as equally nasty problems. But, I might
      > volunteer my computer for the effort too. *think* I have no problem
      > with this because people are volunteering. It's not a warrantless
      > forced search. People are volunteering to have their stuff
      > searched. If the police suddenly start nabbing people for
      > stupid things, they will quickly lose volunteers.

      Who says you'd be able to quit volunteering?

      A solution that abdicates your rights against unreasonable search is
      a train wreck.

      You're thinking that the so-called authorities would have no reason
      to falsely accuse you. There are countless peoples past and present
      that would argue against this unbelievably naive POV.

      As for volunteering CPU cycles for decryption, again, how do you know
      they're not going after the wrong person or worse? Or, more
      insidiously, what if the so-called bad guys start participating in
      this 'helpful' effort and pollute the results? Don't think that can
      happen? Ask the SETI folks.

      Go now and re-read George Orwell's '1984' and then 'Animal Farm'
      perhaps followed by 'Lord of the Flies' by Golding. See how much you
      trust the 'state' after that. (I'm sure there are other good texts)

      -Bill Kearney