Re: [decentralization] Donating cycles to LE

  • Eric M. Hopper
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2001
      On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 10:09:51AM -0700, Todd Boyle wrote:
      > This kind of capability would be particularly devastating to
      > the hackers, intruders etc. etc. who our commercial ISPs have
      > done almost nothing to stop. The new smart nodes could
      > detect scanning activity, all kinds of stuff. And greatly
      > reduce the major virus attacks.
      >
      > I think it is an interesting concept and one which I, myself,
      > would voluntarily participate in. I have always regarded
      > criminal activity as a hell of a bigger problem than police.

      I regard them both as equally nasty problems. But, I might
      volunteer my computer for the effort too. *think* I have no problem
      with this because people are volunteering. It's not a warrantless
      forced search. People are volunteering to have their stuff searched.
      If the police suddenly start nabbing people for stupid things, they will
      quickly lose volunteers.

      Solutions that don't involve imposing authority on others are
      fine by me.

      Have fun (if at all possible),
      --
      "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
      It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --- Thomas Jefferson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2001
        Would it not be useful if citizens donated the use of their CPUs
        and access to networks to law enforcement agencies?

        Think of the sniffing they could do from all the endpoints on the
        internet. What if LE agencies shipped replacements for
        cable modems and DSL modems, to maximize these
        capabilities. Yeah I know, they can already do stuff inside
        the COs etc. But those require search warrants. This
        doesn't.

        It would also give them new abilities to operate anonymously,
        or to perform collossal searches in a very short time without
        detection.

        This kind of capability would be particularly devastating to
        the hackers, intruders etc. etc. who our commercial ISPs have
        done almost nothing to stop. The new smart nodes could
        detect scanning activity, all kinds of stuff. And greatly
        reduce the major virus attacks.

        I think it is an interesting concept and one which I, myself,
        would voluntarily participate in. I have always regarded
        criminal activity as a hell of a bigger problem than police.

        Todd
      • Bill Kearney
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2001
          > I regard them both as equally nasty problems. But, I might
          > volunteer my computer for the effort too. *think* I have no problem
          > with this because people are volunteering. It's not a warrantless
          > forced search. People are volunteering to have their stuff
          > searched. If the police suddenly start nabbing people for
          > stupid things, they will quickly lose volunteers.

          Who says you'd be able to quit volunteering?

          A solution that abdicates your rights against unreasonable search is
          a train wreck.

          You're thinking that the so-called authorities would have no reason
          to falsely accuse you. There are countless peoples past and present
          that would argue against this unbelievably naive POV.

          As for volunteering CPU cycles for decryption, again, how do you know
          they're not going after the wrong person or worse? Or, more
          insidiously, what if the so-called bad guys start participating in
          this 'helpful' effort and pollute the results? Don't think that can
          happen? Ask the SETI folks.

          Go now and re-read George Orwell's '1984' and then 'Animal Farm'
          perhaps followed by 'Lord of the Flies' by Golding. See how much you
          trust the 'state' after that. (I'm sure there are other good texts)

          -Bill Kearney