Re: [decentralization] De-centralization IRL

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12 12:53 PM
      At 01:30 AM 9/12/01, you wrote:
      >Time to de-centralize the financial markets?
      >
      >--
      >Julian Bond email: julian_bond@...

      Today's economic and governance structures have inadequately registered
      some very large, pent up frustrations in the Islamic countries. I
      blame this on the unquestioned power of governments to control their
      citizens, and to take actions which harm other regions for the sole
      benefit of internal decision makers inside national boundaries.

      Governments work tirelessly to advance the interests of their
      own citizens, exporting harms to other nations. 100 measures of
      harms are gladly inflicted on neighbors, for the sake of 1 measure
      of benefit within the geographic borders. Brokering to reduce this
      dispararity is the opportunity of decentralization but it will require
      great courage.

      Today's organizational system registers the tiniest whims of consumers
      in western countries. Meanwhile, billions of people in Islamic
      nations see only oil extraction activities, and foreign militaries.
      http://www.islamicweb.com/?folder=begin&file=population

      The rightness or wrongness of the parties is an independent question to
      the design of systems of organization. The activities of governments
      and corporations, by design, follow the financial imperative. But they
      are relatively blind to other dimensions, and externalities. These
      externalities can never be rectified by legislation or regulation alone
      -- or by terrorism. What is needed is decentralization.

      Western governments are a mechanism. This is a defective mechanism
      which does not serve Americans or Europeans well. This mechanism
      must be somehow improved because it functions all too well in
      advancing *only* the interests of its constituents to the absolute
      exclusion of other regions. Let's not even talk about the problem of
      corrupt partnerships between business and government.

      Governments reaction to todays events will be imposing even more
      barriers, more restrictions on privacy of communication, more regulation
      of decentralized commerce. That is absolutely nuts. This is like the
      period leading up to the Vietnam war. A billion Christians in the
      western nations drift towards war with 1 billion people in islamic
      nations, in a collossal mistake driven by defective systems of
      organization.

      I want you geeks designing the internet to understand the consequences
      of your designs. You are just as responsible for today's world, as
      nuclear engineers, in the 1940's.

      Western systems of social organization are the real root of our problems
      in America. We have today, a monopoly on governance, by government
      *people*. People in governments are sometimes good and wise, sometimes
      not. But all governments are based ultimately on force, and all are
      based on hard geographic lines. By force they all impose laws and crush
      minority opposition. In the US for example, more than 2 million people
      are in jails and prisons, with 5 million on parole and other supervision.

      The reasons most Americans support their government are easily enough
      understood, and the mechanisms of operation also obvious. Government
      is a collective assertion of power by hierarchies of social and
      financial organizations within the geographic borders. Those social and
      financial structures collaborate because of the tremendous financial
      and security rewards in government. But these organizations do,
      in fact, span the national borders, which offers some hope. Maybe not
      much but some.

      Consider, it might be a good thing if governments lose some of
      their power to block, tax, and interfere with economic collaborations
      that span borders. Put aside your fear for a moment-- and keep paying
      your taxes by all means-- but intellectually I ask you, why is it
      morally right that the public sector control 1/3 of the GNP in most
      countries, under threat of imprisonment of anybody who disagrees?

      The economy has always had various means to route around governments.
      This decentralization must reach further into the Islamic nations, so
      that their peoples can achieve their own aspirations and desires.
      Bluntly, we need to napsterize the whole economy so that their
      governments and our governments cannot organize into warfare.

      Put positively, decentralized computing and communications can

      - improve the accuracy and efficiency of dissemination of information,

      - improve the effectiveness of the nodes (ultimately, people) in
      understanding and responding to that information by their actions,

      - improve the webs of trust and honesty necessary for efficient business,

      - ultimately give all humans the power to refuse to cooperate or
      participate in any wars, by giving them the independent means of living
      and prospering in private enterprises outside the visibility of governments.

      To re-emphasize, war is not the answer.

      U.S. terrorism experts say Islamic terrorism cannot be stopped because
      it is composed of cells. What if the entire global economy is also
      comprised of economic cells? What if there are no skyscrapers and no
      pentagon? Who will the terrorists kill? Their local network will
      find them and neutralize them, much faster than foreign governments.

      I feel that it is a key objective that all peoples can express their
      economic requirements empirical and explicitly into the network, and
      that other people can understand these expressions of demand and satisfy
      them with offers of production in satisfaction of those demands on a
      nonviolent way.

      When demand signals and supply signals are available there is no doubt
      that economic collaborations of any required scale will be quickly
      organized, whether in the form of corporate or private partnerships.
      Computers and the internet are good at that.

      The contribution of decentralization is to provide avenues for people to
      route around these existing, large, centrallized forces in the global economy
      that block freedom and organize military actions between peoples.

      Governments, thru their two implements of police/military power and
      centralized control of the financial system, are the very foundation of
      barriers to finance and trade across geographic borders between
      countries. There is an unquestioned assumption of the legitimacy of
      these border arrangements, which all governments are eager to maintain.

      These barriers must be softened, and relations between peoples must be
      normalized. Governments impose excessive barriers to travel, excessive
      fees and costs on money flows by individuals and small business, which
      are not levied on large corporations. I repeat: the national boudaries are
      the basic problem.

      We have unicode now. We have machine translation. We have
      technical solutions for electronic money, and global integration of B2B
      commerce, distribution and supply chain. We have the means for globally
      integrated multicompany accounting, and allocations of income and costs.

      Regarding yesterday's events. Just remember, they began with government by
      force. Governments cause wars, and the planet is getting too small for
      today's governments.

      Todd