802.11B Networks

  • C. Wegrzyn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2001
      Actually there are a number of "interesting" things happening to make
      802.11B deployment profitable and possible. First, Congress has two bills in
      front of it that will offer economic incentives to companies that can
      deliver high-speed Internet access.

      There was talk about how to "finance" rolling out an 802.11B network
      nationwide. I've given some thought to the idea and here is what I think.
      Rather than set up a single company (and try to get it financed) to deploy
      wireless networks, why not set it up as a franchise operation? There are so
      many small ISPs (already have a T1 or better going to their site) and need a
      way to get past the RBOCs. What better way than to utilize them to expand
      the market?

      FWIW,
      Chuck Wegrzyn