Re: [decentralization] Re: IP and .NET

  • Zane Thomas
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 10, 2001
      Eric,

      >I don't know how well MS goes about satisfying their customers.
      >I think they largely have a captive audience with some people who
      >worship authoritarian bigness and people who make money clinging
      >ferociously to the idea that they make good stuff.

      People who worship authoritarian bigness? Seems that the propaganda
      campaign has added to its bag of tricks maligning people who develop for the
      platform.

      My company which develops components for MS supports, oh let's see, roughly
      30 people. We are scattered across the western hemisphere, from Romania to
      Washington State, and we are the sort of independent virtual corporation
      there has been much blah blah about. MS has been *very* supportive of us
      over the years and MS provides a big-enough market so that we can make a
      living. Sometimes I wonder what all of y'all ideological purists are doing
      for a living.

      >I, personally, will not develop for the Win32 platform.

      Good, that's one less potential competitor in my market. :-)

      >And I think that fear, hatred and distrust of Microsoft are entirely
      justified
      >given the company's clear history and status as a convicted felon.

      I take it you also refuse to buy any GE products, fly in Boeing jets, etc
      etc. And, speaking of things legal, have you noticed that the new
      administration appears to be backing way down in its persecution of MS?
      Funny thing the way politics works - had Gates and Co. been playing the game
      instead of developing technology when Clinton first ran for office they
      would have noticed the huge sums of cash which flowed from Sun et al into
      Clinton's coffer, and they would have recognized the danger on the horizon.

      Bah!

      I've sat quietly back through a whole lot of MS bashing on this list, trying
      to focus on the interesting technical bits. Is this list is going to turn
      into yet another slagging match? I've valued the _technical_ content here
      in the past and hope to see more of it in the future. I don't really have
      much use for hearing the usual (you can read them anywyhere) rants about MS.

      IceZ