who's here?

  • Clay Shirky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2000
      So who's here?

      I just had a piece in the Times about Napster, and while it doesn't
      address decentralization per se, it does address one of its effects in
      the music biz, so I offer it here as a possible ice breaker:

      http://www.nytimes.com/00/07/15/oped/15shir.html

      --
      Clay Shirky | shirky.com - Essays on the Internet:
      http://www.shirky.com/ | Culture, Economics, Globalization
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2000
        Hi,

        I'm a student who is on the working group of the gnutella-next
        generation protocol (http://gnutella-ng.wego.com). We are
        unfortunately mostly young students thus disorganized and overloaded
        with unpolished "ideas". :-/

        The summary of the best ideas (IMHO) are as follows:

        1. Ego-centric self organization is needed to optimize the p-2-p
        network

        Nodes join the p2p network randomly. A random network is useless for
        efficient p2p communication thus some organization has to take
        place. Thus the focus becomes on "emergent" like algorithms that
        work on an ego-centric bases to organize the network. The network
        should become a something like a tree structure in terms of the
        message passing but it should remain a random network in terms of the
        maintained connections. Thus if a client on the main communication
        tree spontaneously combusts there is an enough other connections that
        the network can reorganize into another tree (or "near-tree").

        2. Clients should know their capability and take roles in the network
        that maximizes their capably.

        A client should be able to determine its capabilities (bandwidth,
        cpu, memory, diskspace). The capabilities are limited first by the
        actually capabilities of the computer, and second by what the owner
        of the computer is willing to allow. Computers with large bandwidth
        would organized themselves into the backbone of the network while
        computers with low bandwidth would relegate themselves to the edges.
        Computers with low bandwidth may maintain a lot of redundant
        connections in order to maintain network coherence when a central
        client drops.

        I hope I'm writing that's somewhat useful to you as well as on
        topic. :-)
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben

        --- In decentralization@egroups.com, Clay Shirky <clay@s...> wrote:
        > So who's here?
        >
        > I just had a piece in the Times about Napster, and while it doesn't
        > address decentralization per se, it does address one of its effects
        in
        > the music biz, so I offer it here as a possible ice breaker:
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/00/07/15/oped/15shir.html
        >
        > --
        > Clay Shirky | shirky.com - Essays on the
        Internet:
        > http://www.shirky.com/ | Culture, Economics,
        Globalization
      • Oliver Willis
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2000
          I'm here. General all around web guy, working on an open source
          decentralized video broadcast app ....

          --- In decentralization@egroups.com, Clay Shirky <clay@s...> wrote:
          > So who's here?

        • David Orchard
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2000
            Realized I hadn't responded to the ping.

            Dave Orchard, XML Architect for Jamcracker, the first Application Service
            Provider aggregator. Long time XML geek since Tim Bray told me about his
            little project in April 97. Been writing about XML over HTTP since early
            '98 -
            http://www.pacificspirit.com/Authoring/ObjectMag-JavaXML/JavaXMLConvergence.
            html. Apologies for the very bad writing. I was younger :-) Still
            remember when Netscape 0.9 announced itself as Mosaic browser type.
            Recently have been co-editor of XML Link and creator/co-editor of XInclude.

            Like my good friend SteveP, a long time member of dist-obj and lurker
            extra-ordinaire.

            Cheers,
            Dave Orchard
            XML Architect
            Jamcracker, Inc.
            935 Stewart Dr.
            Sunnyvale, CA 94086
            p: 408.830.1886
            f: 408.328.0936

            Named to Red Herring's list of 100 Most Important Companies:
            www.redherring.com/mag/issue79/herring100/jamcracker.html

            Named to Fortune's list of Cool Companies 2000:
            http://www.fortune.com/fortune/cool/coo.html