CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: O'Reilly P2P and Web Services Conference

  • Rael Dornfest
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15, 2001
      CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
      The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
      Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, DC
      September 17-20, 2001

      PROPOSALS DUE: April 2, 2001

      OVERVIEW

      O'Reilly & Associates is pleased to announce the O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and
      Web
      Services conference, an event exploring the technical, business, and legal
      dimensions of the fast-growing Peer-to-Peer and Web Services spaces.

      Individuals and companies interested in making presentations, giving a
      tutorial, or participating in panel discussions are invited to submit
      proposals.

      SUBJECT MATTER

      Because the Peer-to-Peer and Web Services spaces are still relatively
      unformed, we're casting the net widely. Any innovative application that
      harnesses the power of distributed computers, users, services, or devices,
      and the technical, business, or legal issues raised by such applications,
      are appropriate subjects for this conference.

      While the conference will consist of various tracks informed by the subject
      matter of the submissions, presentations are expected to lean more toward
      the technical or business/legal side. Technical presentations should be of
      interest to developers and administrators of Internet applications and
      infrastructure. Business/legal focused presentations should appeal to
      entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, technical strategists, lawmakers and
      law-breakers.

      PROPOSALS

      Proposed talks should be 20, 30, or 60 minutes long. If you are interested
      in participating in or moderating panel discussions or otherwise
      contributing to the conference, please do make this known along with your
      preferred technical or business slant. If you have an idea for a
      particularly provocative group of panelists that you'd love to see square
      off, feel free to send in your suggestions.

      LIGHTNING TALKS

      Lightning talks give you a whirlwind tour of companies, projects (both
      completed and not), research, experiments, and interesting ideas in the
      Peer-to-Peer and Web Services spaces. Each Lightning Talk session gives a
      dozen presenters an opportunity to give a 5-minute elevator pitch.

      There are three Lightning Talk tracks:

      * Technical
      * Business
      * "Wobbly Bits"

      The last track is a space for unfinished, unpolished, possibly abandoned,
      in-need-of-help, and other "wobbly" projects. Presenters should talk about
      what they've learned, what they've solved or overcome, ongoing issues and
      tribulations, the current state of their project, what bits are needed, and
      so on.

      Sessions will be wrapped up with a panel discussion.

      Presentations should be informative, creative, and/or entertaining.

      DETAILS

      For further information, topic examples, and proposal details and
      instructions, please visit
      http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/call_fall.html

      If you have any questions, feel free to send email to p2pconf@....

      Rael Dornfest
      Program Chair,
      The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
      <rael@...>
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2001
        > The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
        > Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, DC
        > September 17-20, 2001
        > http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/call_fall.html

        Anyone here attending this conference?
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
          In article <9n70t1+v2p6@...>, Bill Kearney
          <wkearney99@...> writes
          >> The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
          >> Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, DC
          >> September 17-20, 2001
          >> http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/call_fall.html
          >
          >Anyone here attending this conference?

          As an *ex* CTO[1], It looks like I am going to be there but as there's
          no corporate expenses available I'm doing it on a zero budget. I've
          managed to get the flight and conference covered. Does anyone know of a
          *cheap* hotel reasonably near the conference centre!!??

          Are there any off-conference dinners or such like happening that I can
          invite myself to?

          [1]Or unemployed geek, or something...

          --
          Julian Bond email: julian_bond@...
          CV/Resume: http://www.voidstar.com/cv/
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
            I'll be at the conference and talking about Swarmcast on the
            "Distributed Download" panel
            (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/p2pweb2001/view/e_sess/1854 )

            I'm a tall bald guy with a pierced eyebrow, so please introduce yourself
            if you see me.

            -- Justin

            Bill Kearney wrote:

            >>The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
            >>Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, DC
            >>September 17-20, 2001
            >>http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/call_fall.html
            >>

            >Anyone here attending this conference?

          • Serguei Osokine
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
              --- In decentralization@y..., "Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@h...> wrote:
              > > The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
              > > Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, DC
              > > September 17-20, 2001
              > > http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/call_fall.html
              >
              > Anyone here attending this conference?

              Me - but I guess lots of folks on this list can
              say the same. Are you looking for something specific?

              Best wishes -
              Oso.
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
                In article <9n86kf+8r4k@...>, Serguei Osokine
                <osokin@...> writes
                > Me - but I guess lots of folks on this list can
                >say the same. Are you looking for something specific?

                Maybe we should try herding cats and arrange some off conference event?
                In the P2P spirit this should perhaps be that we all eat in different
                restaurants and communicate via jabber over WiFi from our laptops. ;-)

                Or something.

                Still looking for a cheap bed. "Will write for sleep".

                --
                Julian Bond email: julian_bond@...
                CV/Resume: http://www.voidstar.com/cv/
                WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
                HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
                M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
                ICQ:33679568 tag:So many words, so little time
              • Dave Winer
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
                  Julian, could you blog the conference for those of us back home?

                  Dave
                • Eric M. Hopper
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
                    On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 05:47:35PM +0100, Julian Bond wrote:
                    > In article <9n86kf+8r4k@...>, Serguei Osokine
                    > <osokin@...> writes
                    > > Me - but I guess lots of folks on this list can
                    > >say the same. Are you looking for something specific?
                    >
                    > Maybe we should try herding cats and arrange some off conference event?
                    > In the P2P spirit this should perhaps be that we all eat in different
                    > restaurants and communicate via jabber over WiFi from our laptops. ;-)
                    >
                    > Or something.
                    >
                    > Still looking for a cheap bed. "Will write for sleep".

                    I don't have a laptop, and can't afford to go to the conference,
                    but I'd love to meet with the people on this list somehow. :-)

                    I would go to the conference, but the company that would foot
                    the bill isn't funded just now, and the other place I work for wouldn't
                    fund me to go to this conference. I can afford a plane ticket and a
                    hotel room for a night though. :-)

                    *grin*,
                    --
                    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
                    It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --- Thomas Jefferson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
                      I, Lindsey Smith, will be there again along with some cohorts from
                      Thinkstream, Inc. We'll be exhibiting this time around, so give us a visit.

                      Also, I think an offline/after hours event would be great. If many of you
                      are going to the Tuesday happenings, maybe Tuesday night would be a good
                      time, before the conference gets into full swing.

                      Lindsey
                      Thinkstream, Inc.
                    • Rahul Dave
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
                        I believe the floor isnt that expensive, we could all hang out on the floor
                        one of the days and arrange to meet at some booth?

                        I'm thinking of taking the amtrak from philly for a day..

                        Rahul
                        I got this from you:

                      • gaijin@yha.att.ne.jp
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
                          --- In decentralization@y..., Julian Bond <julian_bond@v...> wrote:
                          > In article <9n70t1+v2p6@e...>, Bill Kearney
                          > <wkearney99@h...> writes
                          > >> The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
                          > >> Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, DC
                          > >> September 17-20, 2001
                          > >> http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/call_fall.html
                          > >
                          > >Anyone here attending this conference?

                          I'll be there.

                          > As an *ex* CTO[1], It looks like I am going to be there but as
                          there's
                          > no corporate expenses available I'm doing it on a zero budget. I've
                          > managed to get the flight and conference covered. Does anyone know
                          of a
                          > *cheap* hotel reasonably near the conference centre!!??

                          Here's a list of all the hotels in the same zip code
                          Check them out at http://www.usa-lodging.net/

                          Connecticut Avenue Days Inn - Washington D.C.
                          4400 Connecticut Avenue NW
                          Washington, District of Columbia, 20008

                          Jurys Normandy Inn
                          2118 Wyoming Avenue Nw
                          Washington, District of Columbia, 20008

                          Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
                          2660 Woodley Road Northwest
                          Washington, District of Columbia, 20008

                          Omni Shoreham Hotel
                          2500 Calvert Street NW
                          Washington, District of Columbia, 20008

                          The Westin Fairfax
                          2100 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
                          Washington, District of Columbia, 20008

                          Windsor Park Hotel
                          2116 Kalorama Road NW
                          Washington, District of Columbia, 20008

                          I reckon this last one is the cheapest, but not all of the places
                          give prices. If you're looking for somewhere really cheap there's
                          also hostels:

                          http://www.hostels.com/us.dc.html

                          Many of which are very close to the O'Reilly venue (check the zip
                          codes)

                          CHEERS> SAM
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 7, 2001
                            There is a room sharing forum at: