rss publishing and usenet style classification

  • Michael Sippey
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2001
      hello, world. long time listener, first time caller.

      i've been working on a piece for a few days now for stating the obvious (my
      labor of, er, love) titled 'the next usenet,' and i'd love some feedback
      from this crew.

      http://www.theobvious.com/archive.html?thenextusenet

      essentially, i'm thinking that we could create the next distributed
      publishing and content syndication system by combining RSS, a
      usenet-inspired free-for-all alt.*-style content classification scheme, and
      a usenet-style RSS distribution and syndication system. writers/publishers
      could classify their channels, as well as classify the individual items in
      those channels, and even x-post to different channels. for example,
      theobvious.com could end up in alt.tech.commentary, and also x-posted to
      alt.tech.commentary.theobvious.

      distribution could happen like usenet. so that if i post a
      hierarchically-tagged message to my "rss server," (which could be on my
      desktop, could be on theobvious, could be on blogger, could be on userland),
      neighbors that are subscribed to that hierarchy pick up that item, and add
      it to their feed, etc., etc. popular hierarchies populate, but the niche
      hierarchies flourish as well.

      "news readers" could be client- or server-based, and just like usenet, would
      subscribe to the hierarchies that interest them. google would grab and
      publish everything it could get its hands on; your desktop app would grab
      just the channels you're interested in.

      anyway. the url above might explain it a bit better. or not.

      thoughts?

      -michael
    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2001
        Michael, I've been thinking along similar lines.

        I started writing about "timeless weblogs" late last year, while working on
        directories, which map Radio outlines onto structures that can include other
        outlines. I wanted RSS channels to be mapped onto pages on these
        directories. That's why RSS 0.92 has a <category> element. It's pretty close
        to what you call for, and ready to go.

        At this point we're just a few days from releasing Radio UserLand 1.0, which
        I think will offer a lot of clues. We haven't yet fully implemented the
        timeless weblog thing, that requires (for us) some work in Manila, but it's
        on the list. But all our formats are open and I'd be happy to show other
        people how to do what we do in other environments.

        One final thought, I sympathize with Google. They didn't want to run the
        Deja software, but they rescued the data. For that they should have our
        thanks. Their UI is coming online and they seem to be doing a good job. Deja
        took their eye off the ball, and I'm glad that Google picked it up.

        Dave

        > hello, world. long time listener, first time caller.
        >
        > i've been working on a piece for a few days now for stating the obvious
        (my
        > labor of, er, love) titled 'the next usenet,' and i'd love some feedback
        > from this crew.
        >
        > http://www.theobvious.com/archive.html?thenextusenet
        >
        > essentially, i'm thinking that we could create the next distributed
        > publishing and content syndication system by combining RSS, a
        > usenet-inspired free-for-all alt.*-style content classification scheme,
        and
        > a usenet-style RSS distribution and syndication system.
        writers/publishers
        > could classify their channels, as well as classify the individual items in
        > those channels, and even x-post to different channels. for example,
        > theobvious.com could end up in alt.tech.commentary, and also x-posted to
        > alt.tech.commentary.theobvious.
        >
        > distribution could happen like usenet. so that if i post a
        > hierarchically-tagged message to my "rss server," (which could be on my
        > desktop, could be on theobvious, could be on blogger, could be on
        userland),
        > neighbors that are subscribed to that hierarchy pick up that item, and add
        > it to their feed, etc., etc. popular hierarchies populate, but the niche
        > hierarchies flourish as well.
        >
        > "news readers" could be client- or server-based, and just like usenet,
        would
        > subscribe to the hierarchies that interest them. google would grab and
        > publish everything it could get its hands on; your desktop app would grab
        > just the channels you're interested in.
        >
        > anyway. the url above might explain it a bit better. or not.
        >
        > thoughts?
        >
        > -michael

      • Aaron Swartz
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1 8:40 AM
          Just an interesting related point, since I don't think I've told this group
          about it.

          To experiment with distribution of RSS and alternate USENET feeds, I've set
          up a small server for it:

          nntp://nntp.logicerror.com/rdfnet.*

          There's rdfnet.rss for RSS feeds, but if there are suggestions I can add
          more groups, etc. I'd love for mirrors, a real easy Linux news server is at:

          http://infa.abo.fi/~patrik/sn/

          It's pretty easy to set up, just follow the instructions in INSTALL.

          --
          [ Aaron Swartz | me@... | http://www.aaronsw.com ]