Re: [decentralization] Re: p2p working group/standards

  • Justin Chapweske
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
      > > P2P infrastructure must be open source.
      >
      > I would say that P2P infrastructure must be open spec, from which an
      > open source implementation can flow. I don't begrudge those who want to
      > build proprietary implementations of P2P specs.

      I'm referring mostly to avoiding having P2P systems rely on closed
      libraries such as .NET or Jini. Dave has made his case time and again
      about how his products will not be open source and that is perfectly
      wonderful because Dave acts with a spirit of openness that is seldom seen
      in closed-source companies....

      I think the P2P community so far has done a wonderful job of resisting any
      sort of closed (anything) lock in. I think it is worthwhile to keep
      driving this point to those who wish to play with this community.
    • Ben Houston
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 20, 2001
        Justin Chapweske said:
        > ... switch to SHA-1.
        >
        > The biggest group that I havn't yet talked to about this is the Gnutella
        > guys, but I'm sure they'd be into it as well. Any Gnutellians on the
        > list?

        Probably going to SHA-1 isn't too big of a problem. I'll bring it up with
        those that I know. Interestingly, there are ways to add file hashes within
        the existing protocol specifications - it should even be backwards
        compatible.

        Cheers,
        -ben houston
        http://www.exocortex.org/~ben